Ever had this (Oil Pump) problem?

peacefulruler

Hi, guys and gals;
I've got an 89 SC, later model which I've driven just fine for over 7 years. Just changed my oil last night, and after running for about 40 seconds the red "check" light comes on. The only thing I can figure is that the oil pump is funny, since I'm not low on gas, and there's nothing else obvious happening.

Is there anything about changing the oil/filter that would trigger a false reading?
Any suggestions on what to check/do (like putting a cleaner through the oil system)?

Thanks very much.

Doubt it's the pump, very rarely fails. You also wouldn't have oil pressure or you would at least notice a drop. If there is no pressure drop then I would just check the codes. Probably something unrelated but may be a filter prob.

I Installed a Fram Double Guard Filter

Could this be the problem? I think this filter releases Teflon, or some other wear reducer into the engine. Could this be clogging something?

I can't tell if the oil pressure is down without taking it up to high speeds; but I think the oil guage (right side of the gauges) seems lower than usual. I put in the recommended 5 quarts of oil, so I know that the oil isn't low.

Any experiences, suggestions (even if wild shots)?

Thanks everyone.

fram filters

never, never, never, NEVER use a fram filter! they are JUNK. cut a new one open and you will see what i mean. I use Wix or NAPA (they are Wix) exclusively on all my vehicles. i have seen more than one fram filter cause low oil pressure. Did i mention that you should NEVER use a fram filter?

Checking codes is going to do nothing for you...there is no code that corresponds to the conditions you described. Change the Oil pressure sender and get back to us. (Assuming the Oil Pressure guage indicates low Oil pressure and is the cause of the Check Gauge Light since the Check Engine light is yellow.) Check your other guages and see if they read abnormally high or low. (high for temp. low for fuel)

not the yellow light

Okay! No more Frams for me!

Duffy, no yellow light is on; the red "check gages" light is on.
This is the same gauge that is on when you're low on gas.

I am concerned because I've had this car for over 7 years and have never had this light come on after an oil change.
I'm not completely sure that the cause of the red light IS the oil change; just that the two have coincided, like "cause and effect."

Is this just a wierd coincidence? Perhaps the red light has nothing to do with oil pressure?

BTW, my Bird has 117K on it.

Thanks, guys, for your help.

By the way...

The gas tank is very full, and the red light came on after only driving around the block halfway, so I know the car's not overheated.

The oil gauge is to the left, but not in the red area.

Thanks, Duffy, for your help.

if im not mistaken, the stock oil pressure guage is only designed to indicate positive pressre, meaning there is some pressure. I dont believe its designed to show reduced or increased pressure. the sending unit sends an electrical charge to the guage moving the needle. This is my understanding of the stock unit.
So if the guage isnt working properly, try swapping out the sending unit.that might be causing your false warning.you could also get a wet oil pressure guage and hook it up. itll tell you how many pounds of oil pressure youve got.
hope this helps

I've had very similar sounding problem. For me the wire to the oil sending unit was kinked. Un kinked wire no more problem. Hope it's as simple for you.

My oil pressure has always read on the high side...until last week. It was floating around when driving the car hard. I was concerned, and had read about the sending units. I replaced mine with a new one from Ford for 18.00. The old one was coming apart, the core was loose. The gage is back to normal now with the new sending unit.
Replace the sender, it would be a shame to loose a motor to an oil leak that sprung from an 18.00 part.
My friend had a Jeep and the sending unit (similar style) blew apart and dumped 5L of oil out on his brand new garage floor.
I have also seen a 3.8L Olds fail while the lady was driving it........because the sender blew apart, the idiot light did not come on adn she toasted the motor! Luckily, ,we at least have a gage to go by.

Back