Fog lights?

MercXr7-5speed

SCCoA Member
Hey all. Have a few question about fogs. I have a 90 XR7 which did not come from the factory with fog lights. However, I have recently acquired a console top from a 93 sc that had the fogs. When I removed my console top, I found two plugs. One for the ride control and one that fit the fog switch perfect. I figured what the heck and pluged it in the new console. When I flick the switch and the parking lights are on, the little light on the switch comes on! I am assuming that Ford must have put all the wiring in for them since the SC's had them. I am thinking of buying a front air dam that has the holes for fogs. If I get the stock fogs (which will fit in the air dam perfect) where can I find all the wiring for them to be able to use the stock switch? Is it just tucked up under the bumper or am I looking for a harness to tap into? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Check under your FAD (Front Air Dam) to see that you already have the foglamps. At the very least you should have the brackets and wiring harness. What it sounds like is that at sometime there was front end damage and they fixed it the cheaper way instead of getting the proper FAD and foglamps. It was my understanding that the SC and XR7 came standard with foglamps. Not too sure about the XR7, but I know the SC did. And I did some checking today on the housings (lenses) They run $128.50 from the dealership. Find some off a scrapped SC/XR7 and you can fix them if need be. I'm repainting the insides of mine tonight. That's only if you need tehm though.

The wiring should be there already, just like the Marker lights on the sides of the bumper cover. The wiring is usually found coming off the turn signal harness. I've got a spare set of SC fogs w/the brackets if you need them. But be warned, running fogs a lot w/o a relay helps to overheat the headlight curcuit that Ford ran through everything. Good luck

Also the fogs lights on a XR7 would be more closer to the center, not at the outter corners like on a S/C..

I try to find a pic of my car (i know i have pics of them, but not scaned)

Foglamps on a Cougar?

89 and 90' XR7's didnt have the foglights as an option, although all teh wiring is present, the for lights should be plug and play, or really easy to set up.

Andrew
:cool:

thanks

Thanks for your replies. I will check under the bumper today to see if I can trace the wiring from the parking lights. Any specific looking conector I am looking for? Will it just be kinda tied up there? Maybe a cap on the connector end? Two wires I am guessing. Thanks again. For the quick replies.

vancouverBC:
I am aware of the headlight switch going bad. I had it happen in my 89 before. I actually have a brand new spare sitting around incase this one decides to poop out. Did you add a relay into your stock wiring for the fogs? Also, I maybe interested in your extra fogs. Let me know what you would like for them. Thanks.
Joe

The fogs that I took off my SC have an oval shaped plug (1"x5/8") with only 2 prongs. I was to lazy to put a relay in, so I just unplugged the switch on both cars. Not a big deal since I don't drive much at night b/c it hurts my eyes. Try to grab a spare MFS if you see one b/c the 1 for the auto lights are over $125. new. Another kick in the head, it turns out that the horns and cigarette lighter are also on the light curcuit.

Here's my email: Jerome Gipson if you want to get them. Good luck

Fogs.jpg

MercXr7-5speed said:
Hey all. Have a few question about fogs. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Hey Joe,

yes this can be done.. I have a 89 Cougar.. I am doing the same thing to.. I have all the parts needed... I have plugged in bulbs and the work like a champ...

All I have to do now is do some clean up work to the lens's.. and get the brackets mounted.. and presto.. they work... no cutting of wires, no splicing... just plug an play...

e-mail me if need some questions answered.. I went through all this about 3 months ago... I will let you know everything you need

Great!

Plug and Play! Awsome! I am about to go disect everything now. Thanks very much for all your help. This site is great and I would be lost without the people here. Jerome, I am sending you an e-mail today. Thanks very much again.

Joe

Back