Svt

It was prototyped for 1996 model year I belive but never made production. I think it was supposed to be an LX Sport body w/ a supercharged V8 and a manual transmission. Don't hold me on those details though but I think I read that somewhere a few years ago.

Someone either has one, or replica'd one. I have seen one at Carlisle too. Its a Maroon one, and I believe its from somewhere in Michigan.

I think I remember, there were (4) made? and I think 2 or 3 were destroyed by SVT.. None were given VIN #'s... therefore they can't be registered or titled.. I think they were all dark red or maroon..

They also made a ranger, I beleive, and maybe an explorer...

If I remember right....

one on ebay

I saw one on ebay last week (probably still there) which said SVT on the back. It was a special dealer edition with some NASCAR driver's name attached to it. It had a Cobra 5.0 engine and what looked like some suspesion upgrades. The guys said that only a few were made like that. In Fact he called it an SC and it had SC facias on it.

No SVT Thunderbirds were released to the public for sale ... sounds like something that a dealer has badged up. :rolleyes:

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

trurckorstang.jpg

That's ugly.

On another topic, there was an "unofficial" SVT Ranger. I believe it was in a 5.0 Mustang or even Muscle Mustang a few months ago. They upgraded the suspension and stuffed a Lightning motor in it. I'd search for pictures, but I'm lazy.

CaifanSC said:
why SVE? i dunno, but check it out...

why sve, because they are the ones that used to be SVO (special vehicle operations) they are now Special Vehicle Engineering, they supply the cars to SVT sve designes them SVT sells them. the picture that you posted is the proposed SVT Ranger, SVT Cobra R, and SVT Thunderbird. the ranger has an explorer front end on it among other things, not sure what motor they put in it, but i think it was a 4V DOHC

the tbird was suppose to be a 96 model what they did was took 5 95 models, put the DOHC motor in it and called it a day, there was NO supercharger put on it while in the hands of SVE, it was however done later. John Colletti, head of SVE/T took one of the sve prototypes for himself and put the M112 supercharger on it. this is what is seen in the articles and it was also what you might have seen at carlisle in 96-7, he stoped taking it there when the tbird was discontinued in 97. The one you might have seen in the last few years at carlisle is Alex baynard's 91 tbird. he put a DOHC 4V 4.6l in his bird then he put a blower on it.

Saleen also makes an Explorer. Its got the 4.6 with an Eaton blower.The 97 Saleen Explorers had 5.0s. Talk about a ride for a Soccer mom.:D

Back