Best/Cost Effective Engine Code reader?

code reader

The most cost effective code reader is to go to autozone and let them download the codes and then they print out the diagnosis for you. Free.

Fred, the cheapest code reader I suppose is a test light or voltmeter and this procedure, http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/EECSelfTest.htm .

I have one of those SunPro code scanners that is about the size of a cigarette pack. I keep it in the spare tire area of my 35th so it's handy. I have had it a while, bought it from Autozone years ago, so I don't know what they cost now. Here is what they look like.
FordSunProScanner.gif

Hope this helps some.

I don't know how cost effective this is....

But I bought an AUTOXRAY, just based on what some members on the boards have said about it. I do like it. I can't even say I have a lot of experience with it. (Thank GOD, for obvious reasons). You can clear codes, which I like, but for 200 bux, I am sure there are other alternatives.

Good luck

Skip

I have a used OTC 2000 scanner that would work just fine for you. Will also check ABS and ARC. This is a programmed system that leads you through step by step how to run the tests like KOER and KOEO as well as the ARC and ABS tests. All alphanumeric...no counting beeps and LED flashes. Contact me privately if interested. Less than 100 bucks + S & H. Works on other brands of cars as well up to 91 with the programing cartridge I have for it.

DuffyF56@stargate.net

My friend has the same one that tbirdsc35th shows, the black and yellow SunPro. Got it from Wal-Mart for $15 I think. It successfully diagnosed all 10,516 problems he had with his car in the few years he owned it (ok, not quite that many but it felt like it). Now that I have an SC looks like I'm gonna need one. I would recommend these, they work great and are very cheap.

Matt

I really like mine. I can take data, and perform several KOEO and KOER tests, as well as look at each sensor's output. Then again it's not somthing you can get at autozone

hik8008fa.gif

Damn Brian....

Nice Tool Man...No punn intended...Who makes it? What did it cost? Can you do on the fly monitoring as well?

I have the Auto X-Ray as well, and I really dig it...And if you are fixing your own car this is MUST HAVE IMO "Some Type Of Code Reading Tool Whatever That May Be"...It has payed for itself many times over at this point...I paid 150bux for mine, not a bad deal...Works on both my 90 & 94...

Cheers

Brad

Last edited:
Most cost effective would have to be a paper clip.

I have the OTC monitor 2000 as well and it works fine.

Jeff

here's a link to the NGS:

http://firsttechtools.com/hickok_ngs_81065.htm

It does let me plug in the diag port and take data real time on all EEC-V cars. I normally data log the IAT, spark, Maf voltage, load, loop mode, and fuel trim. You can graph or table it out on the screen, or transfer it to your notebook via the PCMCIA memory card. The data sampling rate is 10 times per second, which is pretty good. I prefer it to sampling thru the J3 port becasue some EEC-IV's don't even have that option, and it's slower thru that port.

For codes, it will display the codes on the screen for KOEO and KOER tests. When you highlight the code it will give you text about the code, and what it means. It had a section to diagnose the ARC, traction, and ABS systems too, but I didn't get into that.

The NGS also lets me program PATS keys, data log EEC-V cars, and flash EEC-V cars. I have a different tool that I normally use to data log and Flash EEC-V stuff, but it's nice to have a backup handy.

Last edited:
Re: Damn Brian....

cudaz101 said:
Nice Tool Man...No punn intended...Who makes it? What did it cost? Can you do on the fly monitoring as well?

I have the Auto X-Ray as well, and I really dig it...And if you are fixing your own car this is MUST HAVE IMO "Some Type Of Code Reading Tool Whatever That May Be"...It has payed for itself many times over at this point...I paid 150bux for mine, not a bad deal...Works on both my 90 & 94...

Cheers

Brad
Does the Auto X-ray read sensor data?
Which model do you have?

I would love to get one if it can read the sensor data. The info on the site doesn't give any specifics on what can be read from what cars.

Aaron

Aaron...

I have the Auto X-Ray model#

It does take value readings, at what rate I do not know...Brian is much more informed than I...But for example I can get my MAF & TPS voltage...It take real time data, and memory data, and performs the KOER and KOEO tests, it gives you the code and then you scroll through the pages it brings up for troubleshooting explanations, then on to the next code and so on...You can bring up your data and save it for referance...It has been a flawless tool, although I did have a problem with it once, called the company and they had me up and running again in five minutes, I was very impressed with the service they were able to give me over the phone...

I would say that if you need a good scan handheld this is a good one for the money...What I got is all I need for what I am doing at this point anyway...

Brian...Thanks for the input on your unit...

Brad

my buddy has a snap on scanner but i don't think you want to spend 4,000 for a personal use scanner.lol he has an auto repair garage .
joe

J57ltr said:
Most cost effective would have to be a paper clip.
Agree. That is the most cost effective code reader. Also takes some practice to get the hang of counting the flashes, but works just fine. :D

Brain the one you are talking about wouldn't be able to read anything but the codes and step you through the tests on a pre 91 cars right?

Jeff

on pre-91 cars you can't take data thru the J3 port. It looks like that autoxray uses the diag port, like my NGS. I'm 99% sure you can take data on the diagnostic port. I'll try it on Chris Wise's car within the next week.

Brian

Best cost effective reader is free at you local Autozone. Just stop in and tell them you need to have a check engine light test done... We do them all the time.

I am all in for the frre stuff...BUT...

If your ride is sittin' on the side of the road, or in the driveway "Well you get the picture" the local autozone prolly aint gonna roll over to your place or where ever to run codes for free on your ride...The paper clip is not gonna give you anything but a numerical number, although at times that is all ya need...I will say it again...If you are working on your own SC you should have something a lil more advanced as we know that the problems that arrise can be very complex and get you replacing all kinds of gear...

Cheers

Brad

Brian

I have an 89 and would shell out the $200 for the scanner if it can pull real time sensor data. Let us know if it can pull pre 91 data.

I am going to email the manufacturer to see if the tool can pull sensor data from an 89 and will post the results.

Aaron

Back