head gaskets, stock Felpro's or 99+ 4.2l gasket

supercatxr7

Which way should I go? Seems like some have had problems using the 4.2l gaskets. 9 to 1 compression, good amount of boost.

head gaskets

Well I think this depends on the power your motor is going to make. I have heard many times about people still having to go back in and replace headgaskets when using the felpros.

None are perfect but the people having problems with the 4.2 have some serious power. they are working out the details like learing to take out those rivets in the 4.2 for a bette seal and spraying them with copper spray to fill in those imperfections in the block.

It'a all about money spend more now or spend more later.

With I had more to go on to help ya but I kind of am in the same boat.

hepcat

Mark,

The problems people had with the 4.2 liter multi-layered gaskets were due to poor head/block sealing surfaces (Me & Chris Wise) or improper torque specs. (Bill M.). To the best of my knoweledge, nobody is having a problem now. For the kind of power your going to be making the ARP head studs are also needed.

As was mentioned earlier, it was a learning process to determine how to use them correctly. Lucky for you that is all behind us now.

David

okay........

Of course I already have the ARP head studs, and power will be in the range you are at Dave. So the vote is for the 4.2l gaskets, did you use copper gasket spray and remove the rivets?

mark

Mark,

When we did some more work on the heads and swapped the cam back in November, we removed a couple of the rivets when going back together, but didn't use copper spray or other sealer. The gaskets that were on the car at the time still had the rivets (crushed) and were not leaking.

I'm sure your car will be very quick...as I recall it was already running 109 mph with the old motor. It's a very nice looking car too, I saw it in Elkhart last year. I love how you put the SC rear bumper on a Cougar.

David

Last edited:
HGS

I HAVE THE 4.2S......................OF COURSE I ALSO OPENED THE EXHAUST UP CATS ONLY..........................FAST FREDDIE...:rolleyes: ;) :eek:

Back