best launch with a 5speed

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Call me stupid, but i cant seem to get my 94 5speed to launch as good as my 89 auto. I know there has to be a way, I just dont know b/c this is my first 5speed car. The way I do it it takes forever for the car to speed up...not like my 89. Any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated since one of these days I have to race my girlfriend in her 95 Stang...wouldnt wantn to be embarrased:D

well what I do is get the engine revving steady and then pop the clutch, try fooling around to get the right rpm where you don't get as much wheel spin, you just want a bit and then for it to bite almost right away. I'm not a racer but I can move her pretty quick.

Just got my 1st sub 1.9, 60'.

Well, I've been trying to figure it out for the last 5 years and still don't know. My best launches have been where I just rest my foot on the gas pedal and don't push it until I let out the clutch. And I'm not too hard on the clutch either. Pre-reving the engine for an aggressive launch has always given me excessive wheelspin which results in high 60' times, ie. 2.2 to 2.6 secs. I finally popped off a 1.872 using that technique last weekend on my 13.05 run and have no idea what I did right. I've slowly whittled it down from the 2.1's and 2.0's over the last several months into the 1.9's on almost every run now. Now that I can burnout and heat the M/T's better maybe I can be more aggressive but on street tires avoid hammering down until the car is moving good or you'll spin and axle tromp. Preventing wheelspin should give you your best launches.

Popping the clutch is a surefire way to light the tires up.

Hold the revs around 2000-2500 and slip the clutch till the motor bogs ever so slightly and feed more gas in to keep it around 2500. It takes a VERY fine touch on the clutch and gas, but it can be done.

I could pull 1.9x 60' times all day with 3.08 gears...... on street tires. :D :p

Back