Modded cluster looks nice...What gauges to use???

Mike Manzo

I have taken the dremmel to the spare cluster that I got off Ebay for $20 and now I am at an impass.

I need to close up the holes at the bottom of the oil and temp gauges, but other than that the install will look clean once I install some kind of "gasket" to cover the fact I was a little experimental with the cluster grinding.

The rubber gasket supplied with the AutoMeter ProComp Ultra-Lite gauges covers up my flaws, but I am going to try installing the angle cups to see if that helps.

The problem I am having is now I think I should have gone with a white faced gauge. The OEM gauges are, of course, black and I had planned to replace them with the white NR faces, but the white faces with the silver faced AutoMeters?

Anyone use the Lunar electroluminescent gauges from AutoMeter. They kinda look like they are covered in glow in the dark paint, but if they look like the Mustang cluster that is on the autometer website, then it may look nice.

http://www.autometer.com/hp/2003_catalog/street_performance/32.html

I had planned to use blue light bulbs or somehow change the gauges to blue and then use the Autometer blue light covers to change the cluster to blue, but maybe if I go with the Lunar instead I can keep the green all around and be white during the day.

I may have a set of Pro-Comp Ultra Lites to sell! Since I already sawed off a hair of the screws on the back, I dont think I can return them!!

I just ordered the NR faces, so Im gonna see what it looks like together. I want to look as close to an Autometer OEM cluster as I can. I also dont want to have to borrow any parts from the stock 94 cluster and that leads me to another posting on the technical side...

- Mike Manzo

Mike, where are you mounting said guages ?? The blue lighting idea sounds cool, i know it's the "in" color for guages but gotta admit they look rad. Guess that would match my stereo face too !

Jeff

Ebay dash cluster

I got a dash cluster off Ebay for like $20, I took a dremmel to it and bored out the TEMP, OIL and BOOST and replaced them with the Autometer counterparts

Looks nice, but I am wondering if I should have gone Lunar for the white face and green light combo...

- Mike

click on photo for link

I'm planning on a custom stock looking dash with better layout with 6X's more info. Plus they can make custom info for gauges..

Blue LEDs

Just finished my gauge cluster. I replaced the stock W.T., Boost, and O.P. with Autometer Cobalts. The Boost and O.P. are mechanical. I then used blue LEDs for the background color, red LEDs for the needles, and red and white LEDs where needed for the red parts of factory gauges. The blue is more blue and the red is nore red than the picture shows. The dark spot on the speedo is barely noticeable in person. It was hard to get LEDs arranged to eliminate it completely because the mechanicals are blocking the light. If you have seen the Cobalts, my factory gauges colors are a perfect match. What does everyone think?

Attachments

• IMG_4897.JPG
    IMG_4897.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 226
I haven't had new faces made for factory gauges yet. Aftermarket gauges and lighting took a while. Needles were very time consuming because of problems getting LEDs to stay in place.

Attachments

• IMG_4907.JPG
    IMG_4907.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 244
Back