PDA

View Full Version : J-Mod

smokymance
04-23-2003, 12:23 PM
i know this is not the place to ask...but what is the j-mod for the 96-97(or other) tbirds....just got a 97sport and im just wondering, what does it do?

Dale Puumala
04-23-2003, 04:01 PM
I just did it to my '94 SC last weekend. So here's your info.

I'm not for sure on the newer t-birds, but I replaced my 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons, because they were redesigned. I'm not sure what year they were redesigned in, though. That's not the j-mod, though.

The j-mod basically consists of dropping the tranny pan, removing the valve body, removing the separator plate from the valve body, making some of the holes that are already drilled to a larger size, and then putting it all back together.

In essence, it's a shift kit. It makes it snap to the next gear much quicker than stock.

Also, on the 1-2 accumulator piston, you do not replace the bottom spring, which also helps with that shift.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Dale

smokymance
04-24-2003, 12:14 AM
how much did it all cost?

Thomas A
04-24-2003, 12:35 AM
Here is all the info you will need:

J-Mod Info (http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/shiftybusiness.html)

Thomas

Dale Puumala
04-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Including all of the tranny fluid and everything, I think I spent somewhere around $130.

Dale

smokymance
04-24-2003, 10:14 AM
sorry to keep going with this but...dale...did u do this yourself or did u take it some place...cause i wouldnt have the slightest idea how to do this...but would any tranny place do this...i know a good place to take it at but i cant really afford it but if its $130 thats a reall good deal.

Dale Puumala
04-24-2003, 11:58 AM
$130 was for the parts.

I did it myself. I've never ever ever opened a tranny in any way shape or form prior to doing this. If you follow the instructions exactly, it really isn't that difficult at all.

I read the instructions at least a few times before I even started the job. And just followed through the instructions, taking my time the whole way through it.

I've done 2 now. BTW, it is much easier if you have another person to help on it.

Dale

T-bird4vr
04-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Dale,
Don't suspose you would be interested in helping me with it? I don't know how long it takes to do so maybe I should ask if it is a long job. I'm an ISU student here in Ames (mechanical engineering). I'm sure I could get it by myself if you are busy or not interested. I still might put a trans-go in it instead, do you have an opinion on that? No hard feelings if your busy or anything, just thought that I would ask.
Thanks,
Julian

Dale Puumala
04-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Nah, I don't have a problem helping out at all. Like I said, I've done 2 now. :)

Just, since it's yours, you get to take the Mercon bath, not me. :D

IMHO, don't even look at transgo. You want to do the j-mod and only that. If you want my reasons, feel free to ask.

You do have a 94/95 Auto SC, right? It's only good for those models.

Dale

P.S. It took us the better part of a day to do that, but that's only because we took our time doing it. I think if you went to it and didn't take too many breaks, it would take somewhere around 3-4 hours. Maybe even less. But I'd rather be slow and cautious, then to make a mistake.

JustinH
04-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Dale,

The tbird didn't get the new accumulators until late in production in the 1997 model. Therefore some 97's have the upgraded parts, some do not. There is no way to tell without checking it out yourself.

Justin

Dale Puumala
04-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Cool Justin, thanks for the info. I knew it was sometime in the 96/97 years, just didn't know when.

On the two I've done so far, my '94 SC had all of the old stuff in it. And another '94 SC had the new accumulators in it, so someone had been in there and already replaced all that. The sep. plate had not been drilled, and the springs had not been left out or anything, just the parts replaced.

Dale

smokymance
04-24-2003, 07:46 PM
i have a 97 sport...but i have no place to lift it or have no experience and i dont feel that confy doing it my self (im only 18) but just wondering how much would a tranny place charge (i dont wanna sound like i have the cash to lay down, im broke right now)

bigcletus94
04-24-2003, 08:21 PM
The chip I installed recently firmed up the shifts and revs out longer till shifting. When shifting 1st to 2nd, it is nice and firm. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it is pretty harsh...kinda makes me worry if the chip is damaging my trans. Could new accumulators make a difference here? My main question is could my tranny benifit any from doing the J-Mod since I already have the chip? Thanks.

T-bird4vr
04-25-2003, 01:17 AM
Dale I would really love to here your reasons for this if you have the time. Should or do I need the new accumlators? It is a 95 auto, 70k, one shade darker blue than the one in your sig. I do have to ask if the mod will bark the tires on the 1 to 2 shift? I have always wanted a car that would do this.

bigcletus94, is it an apten chip? I have one and it acts like this.

Scott Long
04-25-2003, 10:46 AM
From what I know the J-Mod compliments the chip even better.

Smokeymance, where in Michigan do you live? I'm all about wrenchin' on some birds. Same thing as my friend dereks, shouldn't take long to just remove the valve body and drill the seperator plate.

Dale, here's a quick question for ya. My friend derek (he came to STL on Saturday evening, but didn't have his 94 SC since it was getting a new tranny) wants to do the j-mod, but since his trans maybe has 100 miles on it, do you think we should even bother to change out the accumulators. I figure it'd take us about 45 minutes to drain it, remove it, drill it, and reinstall and refill it. I am gonna put a drain plug in his pan so next time we need to change the filter it will be easy.

JustinH
04-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Scott,

On a trans like that, I'm not sure if it has the new accumulators or not. I would just drop the valve body and drill the plate.

Refill with merconv and a cooler, and all set to go.

JH

bigcletus94
04-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by T-bird4vr

bigcletus94, is it an apten chip? I have one and it acts like this.

Yeah it is an apten chip. The 1-2 shift is nice, but the 2-3 is not so nice. I was just wondering if the J-Mod would improve on that or not. I have Mercon V and a trans cooler too.

T-bird4vr
04-25-2003, 02:43 PM
I like the 2-3, I wish the 1-2 was harder.

smokymance
04-25-2003, 05:16 PM
i live in GPP near detroit....i drive a 97 sport and a 93 lx....

Dale Puumala
04-25-2003, 05:30 PM
T-bird4vr, I have an Apten chip and the j-mod, so you can always ride in mine some time to see how it shifts with the both of them installed.

You should come to the track with us this Sunday up in NE Iowa to race against the Grand Prix GTP club. There's about a 0.0000001% chance that I'll have my '94 there, though. It'll probably be my '89.

Dale

Edit: Oh yeah, you also asked my reasons for the j-mod vs. other shift kits. Well, the whole tranny build-up article at TCCoA and also the j-mod were "designed" by Jerry Wroblewski (hence the name j-mod). He used to work for Ford as a Ford Transmission Engineer. I believe he was on the team that designed the 4R70W transmission. He knows these tranny's inside and out, more than you and I will ever dream of knowing about them. So when he says this is the way to make your transmission shift better, I'm going by what he says 100%.

T-bird4vr
04-27-2003, 03:11 AM
You should come to the track with us this Sunday up in NE Iowa to race against the Grand Prix GTP club.

I would love to but the push is really on at school for projects and tests. It does sound like so much fun! I would love to go for a ride in your 94 and see how it feels first hand, and good luck today.
Julian