bumper

flash

can anyone tell me if the front bumper on a 89 sc is bolted on or is it welded on i had a fender bend and may need to replace the current bumper thanks for any responce

It's welded. It's boxed steel welded to the chassis with plastic energy absorber pads riveted to the front of the steel.

At least i'm pretty sure.

Not 100% about the older models, but I'm sure they are similar. Anyways, there are several different parts to the "bumper". First there is the bumper cover which is easily removable with some hand tools. Behind that is a waffle structure to absorb energy in a collision. The waffle is riveted to the steel bumper structure. The steel structure is spot welded to the frame rails. The steel structure can be removed with whatever method you choose to break the welds. The frame rails are fixable to a point. What I have seen done is the rail is cut back to the point at which it is straight/undamaged. You can then weld in a frame rail that has been cut from another car. Hopefully your damage is more cosmetic than structural, but if it is structural it should be fixable up to a point.

Back