16v power

Aaron Pedroza

I was just thinking about this a while back and looked into some things. The main reason I looked into it is by looking at the Boost-A-Spark and Boost-A-Pump specs and articles. There is a company out the that sells a 3 post 16v battery, www.turbostart.com , the 3rd post is 12v output. What would be the problem with running this battery and having the ignition and fuel pump running off of this battery? They also sell the accesories to adapt your current alt. to charge it fully. More spark and higher fuel pressure with more volts. The only real concern I would have would be with the ignition system over heating. Anyone know anymore info on this?

P.S. I love doing this. Trying to find new and different ways for us to make power with what we have.

16 volts is nice to start a high compression car....Not nice to overwork fuel pump however on a continuous basis

Hey, that was one of mine concerns but guess what? I just called Holley, who just repackages Walbro fuel pumps, and they said all their in tank pumps can handle a constant 16v charge to them. That is sweet!!!! I didn't mention the starter thing before but that is nice too. So it looks like the starter, ignition(?) and fuel pump can handle 16v. This may be something for me. I figure it will give my 190lph pump a nice 25% boost in flow to around 235 lph. May allow me to burn all the fuel in my combustion chambers better for more power with increase in ignition power and bigger gap, start easier and give me a little insurance with the extra fuel. The drawback, it will cost about $300 to do it. I will make it worth it and relocate my battery to the trunk so all together I'd give it a tenth or two with traction and complete fuel burn and the little bit of fuel insurance.

Last edited:
I can see how the fuel pump and starter would benefit. But I'm not so clear on the ignition. Will raising the system voltage necessarily raise the voltage from the DIS module to the coil primary? Would the DIS module be happy with 16 volts? I'm not sure I'd want to bet a DIS module on that.

Aaron the big problem with running more volts to the fuel pump isnt that it wont accept it..But you are putting more strain on it and reducing pump life expectancy...My bike ignition is setup at 20 volts to increase spark..But my ignition was made for that specifically..I personally wouldnt experiment with frying my SC's electrical system..As I stated earlier, the 16volt setups are generally used to help crank over high compression motors..If you truly want something good for your car..I believe jacobs makes a regulator that will keep a consistant 12 volts going to all your accesories..Its expensive but no more then the 300 you mention..Benifits are consistant voltage to your fuel pump..And believe it or not..that means HP..Especially at night with your lights on....perhaps some tunes going....God forbid you blower motors running or your defrost.....As as for the HP part...I did testing years ago..SO put your money to some good use..Not in a 16 volt bling bling setup that in reality is a waste in my opinion

I am just throwing stuff out there that sounds like it could work. I know relocating the battery works, I also know that a hotter spark would allow a larger gap which would burn the compressed mixture better, not to mention stop the spark from being blown out to prevent misfires. The fuel pump is of no real concern to me but it is a nice perk for more power because I am kind of close to the edge as is. The rest of the electrical in the car would be run just like normal. Does my reasoning sound wrong? My main reason for looking specifically into to this was because of those boost a whatevers that have been proven to work, with good results I may add on that Cobra. I also asked about the fuel pump running on 16v constantly and they said it is actually designed for it, much like many aftermarket high peformance ignition and fuel pumps. Then there is the ignition, well we have nothing and have documented problems with ours with high boost numbers. If the ignition could handle it then why wouldn't it help? I remember when I put a "box" on my mustang years ago it was night and day difference when it was hooked on. Ya it was an older electronic ignition but the theory still holds true.

Back