Armrests

Billabong089

Hey my passenger side armrest is like loose and when someone pulls on it you can tell its very loose, my Dad has a thunderbird too and his armrest got like that too, now its totally XXXXXXX.. so I'm wondering what I should do before mine gets like that, because I know someone will get in my car and slam the door and break it right off, so should I glue it or something? And If I shoudl glue it.. what kind should I use? Any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tighten the screws that hold it on. If they are not there anymore, or won't pull tight, you could pickup some slightly larger sheet metal screws and replace the existing ones with those.

ok are you talking about the whole panel or just the armrest part... I'll have to look tommorow but i'm just makin sure.

There is a surefire and permanent fix for this problem. What happens to all tbirds is that the screw pulls out of the plastic panel. What I do it cut a small piece of rectangular metal and reiforce the arm rest. No more problems. I'll post a picture when I get my camera back.

Does anyone know how to do this mod and does anyone have pics of how to do it. I dont want it to get worse on the 93' The soft pad handle feels like its pulling itself away from the rest of the door panel.

I got mine solid again by using a piece of radio back-strap(the metal bar with holes in it-comes with most aftermarket stereos), cutting it to straddle the affected area.

I got mine solid again by using a piece of radio back-strap(the metal bar with holes in it-comes with most aftermarket stereos), cutting it to straddle the affected area.

That is probably the best fix for this problem....:D

I've done it to all my birds and cougars, even if they are not already broken.....:D

Because one day they will break....:rolleyes:

Back