Its Alive!!!

twindragons187

have a couple of questions, i know that these q's have been posted before, but i couldn't find any in the search...

1. where is the boost guage susposed to be when idle?? mines just above 20......like a hair above...

2. what is the normal operating temp on the guage, mine sits between the r and the m, when its on the last leg of the m, the fan kicks on and cools to r...does this sound right? b/c before i changed my hg, it never came off n, and now it sits b/w r and m..
i'm just a little parinoid.......don't like cars running hot.....but i was told that sc's are known for running hot b/c of the sc.... i figured i'd ask u guys/girls, who ever answers this, b/c i haven't drove the car in over a year b/c i thought it was running too hot..... put it this way, the top end rebuild has less then 100 miles, its at 96.5 on the trip....

so do you people think it will be save to drive??? just curious... thanx for the help....:confused:

1) Is just about perfect for stock cam

2) Temp is just fine too, if you feel better about running a little lower temp then switch to a 180 thermostat.

i had a 180 stat in it, but the temp guage stopped working, so i replaced the temp sensor and put a stant 195 stat in it...actually, just did it today....bout 1/2 hour ago....the reason i put the 195 back in it, b/c i had a relay to turn the fan on at 185, but, the fan never turned on and it popped fuses....., now, all the fuses are fine, and when i turn on the a/c....went to see if the fan was running, and it wasn't, could this be the IRCM??? the fan comes on at the last leg of m....but if i get frisky on the throttle, it goes slightly higher and the high speed fan comes on.... thanx for the help

Don't ask me a thing about the IRCM, my fan hasn't worked in two + years. Was running a little hot on the fresh motor but after the break in and a few extra miles and now a fresh 180 stat it runs on the o all the time. Takes a while to get up there in the morning too and I'm in Cali.

My 94 never stays dead center even after being driven hard for a while, the fan kicks in at the R, and never gets to the M. I am assuming that if it is getting hotter than that you need to clean out your coolant system and/or get a new stat. Flushing the radiator at a shop really helps. I had all this done and mine never gets hot, even here in AL. It also has a rebuilt motor, and newer motors do tend to run cooler.
BTW, my boost peaks at around 16 in the top of third gear and my cats are not plugged, I have nothing past the res.

I dont know why but in 94 they used 2 fans and dont seem to have the problems the earler cars did. My 94 never has went more than half way even on the hottet days.

I've got a stock 35th.

The needle stays just about dead center. When sitting in traffic, it'll rise to the m,and the fan kicks in.

35th

well, my 35th used to never come off n, but after the hg were changed, now i will warm up, but keep goin too m, then the fan kicks in and cools it to between the r and m....but mostly stays on the m...and i have no leaks anywere, rad isn't clogged...just don't know what to do....i also see u have a SHO too...auto or stick?? i have the first year production....the sho v6 is really nasty for a natrualy aspirated motor...

All the 2nd Gen's are auto.

I couldn't get either of the SC's to the first meets this year so I SHO'd up. :D

Beat a couple of the SC's in the process. Check the bottom. ;)

sho

thats sweet...yours is a v8 too right...they only have i believe 5 or 10 more hp then the v6...but you have alot more torqe then me...i'm only pushin 200 out of mine...

Yeah, it's not much.

238hp & 230 lb/ft. But it weighs in at about 300lbs more - has a lot more room inside too. They're pretty comparable. The 1st Gen stick is a little qiucker off the line, but the 2nd Gen starts to really pull at 3,000rpm and the auto shifts real clean at 7,000rpm. :D

Handling and braking are also close. 2nd Gen's got bigger wheels/tires and brakes. But, the steering is a big improvement - as good or better than anything I've ever driven. :cool:

Lee

BTW: My SilverBird will stomp all over it in every catagory (except steering). That's my real baby. :p

Does anyone have an ORIGINAL thermostat from an SC?
I'm curious as to how large the opening is on an original one compared to a new one.

Fan

Fan comes on at M in gauge but not with A/C. Sounds like the high speed is working but the low speed isn't. Check all your connections. Then test each side of the plug for fan power. There is one ground and two leads. One lead for low speed one for high. If both speeds work, either connection is bad or ircm has a bad relay on the low speed side. Good luck.

Joe

P.S.- E-mail me if you are still interested in the drivetrain.

both the low and the high work....but u won't be able to tell if you just hook wires up to the fan directley....both settings spin the same, its the 2 fan relay's in the ircm that control how fast.....

tbirddriver,

i believe the stats have the same openings, but there is other stats that r bigger, like the shaw i believe...go to the local auto parts store and ask to see a few of the stats, and my best guess would be to compare them side by side..

fan speeds

I don't claim to know it all. I could swear when my low speed fan whet bad, I just tested the leads. I had a spare sitting around and both leads worked on that one and only the high speed worked on the one that was in my car. Both leads don't spin the same. You would only need one lead if the relays where controling the speed, right? I don't know. But I think I might be right. It was over two years ago that I had this problem. Wait, when my low speed went bad, I put a switch to the high speed lead to make the fan come on till I had money to buy a new one. I eventually burned the whole fan out, because the low speed should be running before staring the high speed. Try testing each of the leads.

Joe

well, i pulled the fan completely out and jump both speeds, both work...i think its a bad ircm, but when i cut pin #14, the fan comes on...and its the low speed since pin 14 only runs the low speed..so i put a inline toggle to it...now i'm goin to do the same to the high, so when i get the fan started in low, i can jump over to the high speed....

Back