Intercooler Cooler

thundersc

Banned
NITROUS EXPRESS 888-463-2781 Has a kit to spray cold nitrous on the intercooler to help keep it extra cold during a run. Since it's illegal to drip water on the track, using dry nitrous can help prevent the disqualification that a water sprayer might cause you at a race.

nitrous express offers a unique intercooler sprayer that chills the intercooler with near-cryogenic liquid nitrous. this really drops the charge air temperatures.

funny I found this in a sport compact car mag.

Just remember the IC Tanks are sealed to the core with epoxy on the OEM unit. Temperature cycles with extreme swings can cause the epoxy sealing to fail...then you have boost leaks to contend with that you can't fix.

Heres a car with it installed
show_image.pl

nx_n-tercooler.jpg

It works like your AC unit (E-VAP) inside your car. without getting to techie (work in thermal products field). When you turn on your AC in your car the inside air cools down and your system doesn't freeze up. Evap/intercooler gets cold and when air passes by it turns cold and when it comes out, its a lot colder than outside air...

So....like I said you will have thermal stresses created since the air on the inside from the blower can be as hot as 400 Degrees F and then you have the ambient air temp of say 80F (just for talking reasons) and you are going to pretty much instantaneously drop that temp to several hundred degrees F below zero when you blow the NOS...but only on part of the IC core. That will cause a rapid "shrink" of the core metal and the contraction will impart a mechanical stress to the seals of the IC since the core will contract faster than the end tanks. This is because the cores are made of thinner material and will change temp. quicker than the thicker material of the end tanks...also the spray is going directly on a portion of the core and not on the end tanks (at least not directly on.)

they do work, my friend has a 1.8T golf and he said it's like adding 50 horse. he also has a spearco i/c that is welded, if stock sc i/c's are held together with epoxy i don't know if i would trust that. even with an all metal welded i/c you still have to think about the extreme temp fluctuations.
joe

Last night went to local ricers get together. I found a Twin turbo 3000 VR4 with this cooler on both intercoolers. I used by friends laser temp to see the drops. With his car at full running temp we first got the temp of tubes before and after the cooler (6"). Before the system was turned on the temp was the same. The guy turned the system on and the temp was a 1 degree different after 2 minutes. The tubes don't drop that much because the system doesn't run all the time (nos bottles not that big), but the air inside drops a lot.
The air inside your the intercooler works like air inside AC ducts under your dash. When you turn your AC on the Evap starts to cool down to 33 degrees. The air coming out turns cold fast but the Hvap unit (evap sits in the Hvap along with heater core) is not that much colder along with the duct tubes in your dash. That is plastic not alum like our intercooler tubes. Temp change in plastic is faster then alum.
The guy (steve I think) told us he feels the new hp when the system is on, he uses it when he solo races the car or when he racing someone on the highway. He did say the he needs bigger bottles, that it cost $$ to refill them so running the system all the time is a no, no..

Back