Splicing Into The Ircm????

twindragons187

i was just lookin through the fan mods and i'm kinda lost....i found one mod that looks good but, need little help...

1. cut #14 wire. will turn low speed on whenever key is in run position..

2. attach the IRC side of #14 to #17 wire. connect #17 to a switch thats grounded.(toggle switch)

ok, well, what do u do with the otherside of #14 wire?? or do i hook otherside of #14 to another ground toggle?? thanx...

duston:confused:

Duston - when you cut the #14 wire , the low speed fan runs all the time. Some people have had trouble starting their cars with that, because the fan activates upon ignition. So you could put a switch in line. The #17 wire for the high speed is different, you can simply ground it to have the fan come on. However, putting the high speed on independantly draws a lot of current & has been known (myself included) to burn out the fusable link or fuse (depending upon model year) and even burn up the fan motor. If you look back thru the "fan posts" their is a wiring suggestion using relays to help this. Myself I experienced the fuse and fan burn-up on my 94, because I grounded the #17 via a 200 deg. temp. sensor on the radiator ("Cool Fan Switch" from MN12).
The secret is to get the slow speed going before you engage the high speed, to reduce the load. One other suggestion I might follow is a 3 way switch; whereby you first engage the slow speed and then switch over to the high, if the temp. rises above than you want. This way the fan is already running before engaging the high speed. You would have to cut #14, extend the two wires to a switch location on the dash or console; then slice into #17 and run a wire to the other pole on the switch & then back to a chassis ground.
Hope that helps,
Jim.

Better still buy the EEC Tuner and change the stock temp. settings.

well, right now i'm low on funds....but i have a 35th anny ed..

i also just put a inline toggle to pin #14....this way, i can turn it on myself, or let the irc do it....

now, if i run another inline toggle to pin #17, but ground it, then i should be able to start the low speed, flip the toggle(which inturn reconnects the circut to pin #14) and flip toggle 2(which grounds pin #17)and turn on the hight speed....could this work, or would i end up burning something out?

sorry bout that, i know pin 14 is low, and pin 17 is high....but do ya get the general idea of what i'm tryin to do......more of a poor mans cool switch.....lol

Back