Speed Sensitive Steering?

San Diego Scott

Does a ’92 SC have “speed sensitive steering” (easy to turn the wheels at slow speeds and tighter steering at higher speeds)? Is mine stuck in “easy turning even at high speeds?

At 116,000 mi. I was having vibration problems. I then had new brake rotors & pads installed, new tires and alignment but still had some vibration. Had power steering Rack & Pinion replaced along with new shocks and struts, sway bar end-links & insulators. I think this is the point that the “wandering” started, but I’m not positive because I was focussed on vibration. The vibration has decreased, but now at 117,000 mi. the car is wandering – especially when the wind is blowing or larger cars are passing by. It also drifts left or drifts right (sometimes both) but never straight. The tire dealer upgraded my tires to Yokohama’s in case it was radial pull… and alignment was rechecked.

I wonder if my mechanic installed something incorrectly. Any ideas? Thanks for any insight or advice you can pass along.

your next step is the tie rods and rag joint. you have a sensor on the p/s pump for speed sensitive steering.
joe

are the strut rod to lower control arms good?(place vehicle on level ground with wheels forward, push the front tires forwards and backwards with your foot and look for motion). If those are good see what the caster readings are at. Also swap the front tires with the rears. Do everything step by step and go for a road test in between.

Maybe the front rotors are out of balance?, do you feel the vibration around the floor area or around the wheel and dash etc?

The speed sensitive power steering is barely noticeable with or without full assist at highway speeds, you'll notice the car is a little twitchier when fully assisted at higher speeds, maybe by 20-30% when initially turning the wheel. Mines been unhooked for a few days to see how it would run, at first you might zig-zag around your lane trying to get used to the softer feel of the wheel:D :p All variable speed pumps have an electrical fitting on the side where the high pressure line connects (visible from top)

zig-zag

Thrty5thSC, I will check the tie rods, but I have had a suspension shop shake the suspension down with no sign of movement.

AsScLoWn, that "zig-zag feel in the lane" is exactly how the car is reacting. I'll check the electrical connection, but is there a way to further check the "SSS".

Also, how do you balance rotors? Who does that kind of work?

Back