Paint chipping off of wheels? How to stop!

bigcletus94

On my stock SC rims near the slot to pop off the center cap, the paint is peeling off. Looks nasty. It is constantly spreading. Any solutions to this? I plan on upgrading to SN-95 brakes/wheels in the future but in the mean time I can't roll around with the wheels looking like this! How would powder-coating the wheels look? Any input is appreciated.

Paint chipping off of wheels? How to stop!

I went through horrable chipping and pealing on my black 35th rims and had to sand them to metal and repaint, it took a long time to do but they look beautiful now. I always use a cloth around the flathead screw driver to remove the center caps. You may be able to use some clear touch up to keep them from getting worse. I wish you had a picture so we could see how bad it is b/c I might be talking through my hat. I looked into powder coating but it was to costly and when it chips, it looks worse than paint chips. good luck

35thWheels.JPG

If you want to repaint them, look into dupli-color high temp wheel paint. It's almost the same color as the factory wheels and it's looks really good. they even have a clear coat that goes on. Your looking at like 20$ and a couple of hours sanding. To cut down on overspray on the tires, coat them with shampoo so the paint won't stick before you tape them off. I know it sounds stupid but it works. You can pick the paint up at wal-mart...Bill

P.S. I didn't paint the centers

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 4,002
If the paint is actually peeling off it's usually caused by corrosion of the aluminum underneath. If you're in a state that uses deicer on the roads it's a MAJOR problem. That stuff eats aluminum. My Tacoma wheels are about shot thanks to the Montana highway department.

We built exercise machines and powdercoated aluminum. If you use a good shop the stuff is rock hard and really glossy. Powdercoating is thicker and harder than almost any paint so you have to have really extreme corrosion underneath to cause it to fail later on. If it's a good job and good powder it's doubtful you'll get rock chips on them.

I always have painted parts sandblasted or media blasted to get all the corrosion/rust or old paint off. Powdercoat flows evenly over whatever's there so chunks of paint or other crap show in the surface. There's a special filler you can use for big scratches or pits from corrosion that will hold up to the baking temps for powdercoat.

REALLY IMPORTANT!... make sure you take a good look at the work a shop does before handing over your wheels. Not the pretty stuff in the showroom but stuff out on the production floor. Anyone can do a few good parts. It's like a body shop, some do crappy work. With powdercoating though if you get a crappy job the stuff is EXTREMELY difficult to get back off.

I want to polish my supercharger tubes and have them done in clear powdercoat.

here is a pic of how bad it is....

wheel.jpg

It doesn't appear to have corrosion underneath the paint. It is just flaking off.

Thats exactly how my wheels were on my xr7! Steel wool and water will take it right down and not scratch the wheel...BIll

Back