open headers...er..manifolds

35th_tbird

what would be any drawbacks in running open manifolds? i don't need to worry about cats because i don't have emissions testing. i'm kinda thinking about trying it and seeing ifi i like it. i know it's going to be LOUD, but that's what i'm looking for. besides, i'll get rid of the crappy stock exhaust and it'll give me a chance to port out the collectors on the manifolds. that would definitely be a free flowing exhaust. would that be good from a performance standpoint. i know it won't be a huge increase in power but i should definitely feel it, right? what do you guys think?

you would burn valves like no tommorow
instead why not run dual turndowns before the gas tank (a safe distance away) with two good flowing mufflers and no cats or res.

this would flow very good without being hazardas to the engine

Are you planning on driving it on the street often? If you do, you can plan on getting a few noise tickets.

-Rod

hey scotte, how loud would that setup be? i'm looking for loud, but not too loud. i might go with that setup you described and see how i like it. of course i would have to have money to buy the parts, which could be a while, but that's another story. a question about that setup, though. what size pipes would be good for that? would 2.5" work or should i go 3"? i want the best flow i can get so i don't have to change it later to accomodate any future mods, but i don't want to overkill it and lose performance.
rod, i guess i just want to run no exhaust to say i did it and to be loud that once. i can't imagine driving it around everyday with it screaming like that, but i definitely want to try it.

thanks for the tips everyone.

As Jimmy D discovered at Bakersfield...

He actually LOST power with wide open exhaust. These engines like some backpressure.

thanks for that reassurance rivlee. i still want to try it to see how loud it'll be, but i'll do that when i put on my exhuast. first i have to find a setup i like, so it might be a while. either way, i'm still going to try it, it just won't be permanent.

Back