exhaust opinion.

89_cougarxr7

Ok. I know I know ANOTHER exhaust thread. but this is the only place i know to talk to experts about this stuff (my local shop is run by a bunch of morons). anyway. i have a set up, mostly for sound, and i was wondering if you guys would have any idea on how it would sound. its really simple; cut out the resonator, replace with 2 1/4in y-pipe, then just replace the factory pipng with new pipng of the same size. then slap on a couple of magnaflow turbo mufflers. what do ya think? any ideas? would it sound better if i put the magnaflow resonator of the supercoupeperformance.com website in there? should i use 2 1/2 in piping instead? i have no experiance with exhaust. so i need your opinion. thanx. peace!

--joel--

Have res cut off and nothing else for now. Will sound better and run a lot better. I would not bother with other stuff because you'll end up replacing what you've done later. Save up at least $500-$700 and get a complete exhaust done from downtubes to tail. If you replace stock muffs right now without res it will sound bad. I don't know how but the stock muffs cut down on that horrible buzzing sound better than anything else I've tried.

Well i cut the stock mufflers off about 6 months ago. so if i ttok out the resonator it would sound like a civic on steriods, and i deff dont want that. The thing is i dont really care about the exhaust. i just want something that will sound decent. i dont care if theres a drone or if it sounds like pissed off bees in a can (flowmaster) i just want something that will turn heads and make people think that im driving some hairy beast. im deff goin cheap with this so there aint no way in hell im savin up 700 bucks for this. i need to get a new blower first. thanks for your opinion. i'll deff take it into concideration.

any more opinions out there?

--joel--

I'm not planning on upgrading the blower in any way. i'm just gonna get a stock one that is in better shape than mine. prolly send it to magnum powers and have them rebuild it. so no worries there.

I could really use some more opinions here. i wanna get this done ASAP, so i can go to some races this season, but i dont want to do something thats gonna sound like ****. JUST LOUD AND SCARY...lol.NOT RICEY like my friend Brandt's...he just cut out the resonator and mufflers. its loud but not in a good way.

peace
--joel--

i dropped 1.5 seconds from my sons et with some exhaust work. this is what i have done so far. ported and polished manifolds, gutted cats, outlet enlarged on the resonator, outlet end of resonator gutted. the car is very quiet, with just a bit of tinneyness from the cats. i think i will plumb in a manomometer to maybe see the amount of backpressure before we go with an overdrive pully.

Chop out stock res. put in longest magnaflow res. you can fit with a 3" section coming out, then 2.25 y pipe with just tips at the back. Or... chop out stock res. go 2.50 all the way with two magnaflows at the back. if you do a search on exhaust, you will get opinions that have been posted about these setups.
All I can say personally is that Magnaflow res and Flowmasters, sound good ,sporty ( not ricey) , deep, but is not the noisy setup you are looking for.
Good luck

I think the second one you mentioned is what im gonna do. i heard that magnaflows sound bad azz. so i think im gonna use those. how much do you think its gonna cost to have them cut out the res put in the y-pipe and then slap on the mags?

peace

--joel--

magnaflow/flowmaster

I had the flowmaster 40s put on back. Later had the cats cut out and placed a magnaflow resinator. Sounded great,,,for awhile. After about a year of breaking in, it got LOUD. To do it again, the Magnaflow res is a definate. I don't know if I would do magnafow mufflers (cheap) or the delta flow flowmaster 50 ($$$).

Muffs pipe and labor would cost you 350.00 in Az. with some serious shopping, not sure what it might cost you in Neb. I called and / or took my car into about 7 diff. places b-4 finding a price i liked.Beware , i have read some 150.00 botch jobs being done to a couple of people who post here !!
Good luck

Jeff

i talked to the guy at my local shop and he said that he would put it all on for $100 even. of course that doesnt include the price for the mufflers. i found them for $75 each on the net. sound like a decent price for Magnaflows?

and once again Flowmasters are starting to creep their way into my decisions. i hear so many mixed reviews on these. i hear that they suck due to there chambers and ive heard that they are the best thing on the market. as far as SOUND goes. what do you think the flows would SOUND like on my car with the stock cats and and no resonator. again i dont realy mind drone at all. in fact i kinda like it. :D peace

--joel--

75.00 is the going rate for Magnaflows online.... as far as sound goes ,if you're not gonna have a resonator, i think i would lean in the direction of the Magnaflows. The Flowmasters are the long standing king of the V8's but opinions vary on the Flow's on our cars, i think that in conjunction with a good resonator they can sound good on an SC, but for what you want to do I'd pay a few extra dollars and go Magnaflow. One thing i will have to admit, whenever i have read that someone has the magna's on the back end,they are always happy with them.

Jeff

i got no cats no resonator and the flowmaster force 2 catback. it cost me 300 bucks to do everything including parts. everywhere i go people always ask me if i got a 5 oh. i don't know what people are talking about when they say flowmaster sounds like bee's in a can, that buzz comes from the factory resonator. i love the way my car sounds and wouldn't change a thing. no matter where i go i always get complements on the sound, by young and older people. more than happy with flowmaster. the force 2 is 259.00 from summit. and comes with an awesome rear y pipe.
joe

Last edited:
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!

can ANYBODY distinguish the difference in sound between the flows and the mags. with just the resonator cut out. ppppllllleeeeaaasssseeeee.. thanks. peace

--joel--

i have never heard magna flows. all i know is i used to be a mustang guy and always used flowmaster and have always liked em.no matter what anyone tells you, your gonna have to hear them for yourself. even if it means buying one and using them for a few months or a summer, then buying the other and then making your mind up. you can always sell the ones you don't want. i'll buy the flowmasters if you don't like them.:D
joe

How would just a mangaflow resonator sound with no mufflers?

I got flowmasters and they drone out bad and sound like crap... so I wanna make them sound better... just add a resonator?

Well , the resonator will cut the drone and change the tone of your Flows to something you can live with. hell you might even like them after that and you can always cut them off later and have tips added.

I was looking at supercoupe performance and the magnaflow resonator they have is just a 2- 1/2 dual in and 3in out.. do they make any 2-1/2 dual out also?

How much do you think it would be to have a shop put in a resonator and move the mufflers up more into the body and add tips?

The previous owner put the mufflers so you could see them out of the back with tips, and I really hate seeing the muffler from the back of a car.

Well, ive made my decision. im goin with the mags and no resonator. hopefully there wont be too much drone (i dont mind a little). i'll let all of youknow how it turns out. thanks for your input. take it easy guys.

--joel--

Back