Fuel Consumption Observations

B

Bill A McNeil

Fuel Consumption Observations

Hi Folks.
I figured I would share my experience after buring 2 tanks of Ultra 94 under both city and highway driving conditions on the new motor.

The first tank was actually old fuel with stabilizer and it was about 3/4 full which took me 324 Km to burn.

The second tank I am down to just below 1/2 a tank, and I am at 300km. Althoght there is more consumtion than stock, it is not much worse. I haved been reving her like an animal trying to break her in under half-load, and driving her like a bit of an ass, as well as letting her idle a lot, so I think the car is behaving well.

Not bad so far.

Re: Fuel Consumption Observations

Bill,

It's good to hear that she's behaving well! The car, I mean... sorry Krista.

Actually, I think that 300 km's to a half tank is about all I get with my car. I think you're doing pretty well!

What's the plan when your blower finally comes in? Are you going to perform the swap in TO, or did you want to come back to my place?

BTW, I picked up a used digital camera from a friend. I should be getting it via courier today. It's too bad I didn't have this thing a couple weeks ago! When we do the swap, I'll try to snap some pics of yours without the blower on. It may be the last time you see any of that nice silver paint!!! ;)

LMK.

Cheers,

Sean,

I would like to do the swap at your place if you wouldn't mind.

Glad to see you picked up a camera, hopefully we'll get some pics of everyone's car at your place.

Yeah, that's all I need... photographic evidence for Alecia when she drags my but into divorce court!!!

J/K.

Schedule permitting, I don't have a problem with doing the swap back at my place. Do you have enough I/C tube tape to re-seal those tubes again?

Regards,

Holy @#%$ Bill drive that thing :) I used to get worse then that with my 89 3.8L NA LX :) I'd get 350KM per tank at MOST. Granted I would drive to work everyday at 170 but hey.. :) BTW: I wouldn't get on it till ATLEAST 1500 if I were you or maybe even 3000.

That's pretty good gas mileage Bill!... though its more likely due to driving a little more conservatively than you normally would :lol:

By the time you get that new blower strapped on, you should be past the "break-in" period :evil:

I think all us guys should get together soon and go down to Cayuga. Friday nights are usually 'test n tune' sessions, and Les said it's way cheaper than Sat/Sun rates. Apparently you get more runs in as well. And, as an added benefit, I know some excellent roads there and back we could have some fun with too! :eek:

93 Thunderbird SC auto

Bill,
Be sure to let me know when you go to Agostino. I have a dyno discount coupon for you.

Is Cayuga ready for prime time? There are so many conflicting stories circulating...

Paul: Cayuga doesn't open until May12th according to me calender. We'll also have to wait until Sean is prepared to host a post-race BBQ ;)

Keith: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Thanks buddy. We'll talk soon.

just to add my 2 cents...I get around 600km to the tank (650 if I take it easy) stock engine running very crappy. So 600 with a modded motor seems like a sweet deal.

Bill, are you doing any highway driving? I get about 450-500 of mixed street/highway driving and about 300-350 street with my SC.

I'm down for a track day.

I never get more than 300km to a tank in the city.

Okay, when I said I had done 300km with OVER 1/2 a tank gone, I didn't mean I am on my way to 600km. Right now I am hovering above 1/4 with over 300km gone, so I may not see over 400 under city conditions.

What does please me is than I think she has the potential to go 450-500 o the highway. I can live with 350-400 under city conditions. The only reason it wil behave differently than stock is when I start to get on 'er, which will be any day now :)

I'm kind of out of the loop here Bill.. :) What exactly did you do to that engine? Do you have flow #'s for the heads?

Bill built a rocketship while no one was looking (except Sean, of course). On a long trip over flat road, steady throttle, I'd think that mill could get up around 600 km on a tank. If you are interested in more economy we can tighten up the accelerator pump maps.

If you get 600km on a tank I'll eat my shorts in public Bill.

I just pulled off 400km on 38.2 litres on my Ottawa run, that's 30mpg(Canadian Gallon) and I used the cruise at 115km/hour on the 401 and abour 90-95 on Hwy 7.

I filled up in Ottawa yesterday afternoon and came home, went out about 10 city blocks last night. This morning drove to Hamiton right by Sean's house to Mohawk College(via the 407 so in town from Warden and Sheppard to the 407) and back home still on the same tank of fuel. I;m sitting on about the beginning of the red bar and the low fuel indicator is on.

In my observation over the years, esp. on Fords, it seems that the bottom half of the tank goes faster than the top half. :) I think this is due to the shape of the sides of the tank, and the way the sender floats are designed.

cheers
Ed N.

My car gets 25 mpg at 80 mph on the cruise control (Road trip, no start and stop). Of course I live at high elevation which helps. On a 17 gallon tank I have no trouble going 400 miles. Even if he makes 21.5 mpg he should get close to 365 miles, or roughly 600 km. You guys may think i'm outta line, but the really hopped up ones get good mileage !

Oh the Ford gauges are beauty, all 5 of the ones I have had read the same. You can fill them way past the F in FULL, when they reach btween FULL and 3/4's that's actually a half a tank of fuel gone( to be truthfull it;s more than half). When I fillerd up yesterday in Ottawa it was between 3/4's and FULL and toook 38.2 litres(8.4 gallons Canadian,10.1 gallons US). I don;t think even the old tanks are 16 Canadian gallons(20 US Gallons) or 76 litres. I have run that baby right down deep into the RED zone and she never took more than 66 litres(14.5 Canadian Gallons,17.4 US Gallons).

The factory tank is exactly 65 litres.

As of right now, I am about to roll over 400km, and I NEED GAS! This is mostly city driving, and today I got on the throttle ALOT (sorry Fred, I had to). Nothing all the way though.

I anticipate under normal highway conditions she can exceed 500km, and maybe more with some tuner manipulation.

I NEED A LAPTOP!!!!

Back