Tune-up Problems...

BCBlackAnSC

Today I changed the plugs and wires...

Autolite Single Plats and Bosch 8mm Wires

But...

Obviously (I assume) I got the firing order right, (Double checked it off of All-Data so I assume It's right), the plugs went in without a hitch, gap should have been fine.

The car runs, idles seemingly normal, but once there is a load on the engine it misses like none other. The engine runs well enough that i Could drive it the 15 kms home from the shop but not well enough that i could get on the gas even the slightest.

So I am thinking : The gap is wrong?

Checked loose wires, maybe Im missing something?

Faulty plugs or wires?

or the unknown?

Thanks in Advance.

yeah thats the order i have.

Also even if it was wrong, the car wouldnt run smooth at idle like it tends to.

So it must be a loose wire somewhere on the plug side of things, unfortantly I cant get at those really from above so it will have to wait until monday. I doubt it would be a cracked plug since I took extra care putting them in just to avoid that.

Anyways, thanks.

sounds like a cracked plug or a wire not on the plug all the way. Also you should use Double platinum plugs on any DIS equipped car, not single platinums, due to the fact that the plugs fire both directions ( that is, conventional ignition sent the spark from the center electrode to the ground electrode , so you only need a platinum center electrode. DIS sends the spark the opposite way, from the ground electrode to the center electrode, on half the cylinders, so you want platinum on both electrodes) I doubt if the single platinums would be a problem when they are new but they won't last nearly as long.

Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago after installing new set of plugs...one of the wires wasn't on the plug all the way.

David

The stock firing order on my 95 sc was

That was the way the stock wires were numbered and the car ran perfectly like that. But I always see these two different versions of the firing order, what is the deal.

1BADSC said:
The stock firing order on my 95 sc was

That was the way the stock wires were numbered and the car ran perfectly like that. But I always see these two different versions of the firing order, what is the deal.
thats how they were placed on the coil pack, but they were re-arranged on the spark plugs.

plugs and wires

My boy and I did ours last weekend same thing changed theb wires on drivers side at coil and run right....................some how they were mixed up when putting them in the coil pack..........before that would idle rough and back fire under load......................hope this helps........FAST FREDDIE:rolleyes: ;) :eek: :p

Here is the correct firing order and cylinder location.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

David

Turns out I had the firing order RIGHT, as I thought I did.

The problem was a faulty wire on Cylinder #2.

Simple fix, and now it runs great again.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Back