Washer bottle location change. When?

talonhead

Any one know when the location of the washer bottle was moved from by shock tower to in front of rad' support? Have had problems in winter it freezes up and does not thaw because no heat up there (especially at 70mph)

my 90 has the washer bottle behind the battery.........but what are you running in it, just water? washer fluid usually has freeze protection down to -25 F or -30 F depending on the brand.......

I pulled one off what appeared to be a 92 LX. But I didn't install it yet as it looks like it's location is in the way of the IC inlet location.

What are you running.....

When ambient temp is -30F and the vehicle is traveling at 70mph the windchill factor is about -60F or lower! I've spoken to others that this has happened to, all on late model birds, and not just SC's.

I used to think that windchill also worked that way on liquids in moving cars. Turns out that it ain't so!

Windchill is only measured on living tissue, not inanimate objects. While the air going across the radiator or washer bottle will cool it down more quickly, it cannot cool it below ambient temp.

Reference link:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/windchillglossary.shtml#2

The washer bottle change was in 93.

I was able to mount the newer washer bottle on mine so as not to block the IC. I also have an aluminum shroud to duct more air to the IC.

P0895sm.jpg

Why did you move it? I see you relocated the battery, did it look goofy in that spot, or just trying to show paint instead of plastic bottles? I can understand that. BTW, where is your radiator overflow?

On topic, you can get an additive for your windshield wiper fluid that works the same as the stuff you spray directly onto the windshield when it's frozen up. Supposedly keeps the fluid from freezing until a much lower temp, not that I have that problem here in MS. I did try it some last Winter, but never had any ice to try it on. :) I would think that regular windshield wiper fluid would work at this time of the year, just fine. Get the water outta there and try some of the Rain X fluid, helps a little bit in the rain. :confused:

Jafo, I moved the washer bottle to get more room in the engine compartment. I also had an aluminum overflow tank made to go on the passenger side of the rad support. Those two moves freed up needed space for the custom air cleaner cover and the relays. My battery is currently in the stock location, but will eventually be relocated to the trunk so a Vortech water box can sit there. That will be for my air/water IC system.

You can see both tanks and the battery in this shot. I even retained the stock cap and level sensor in the overflow tank I had made.

swbenginesc.jpg

I've never had my washer fluid freeze in the bottle in Minnesota. Maybe it's just about the stuff they sell up here.

George,

On my car it's not looking like there is enough room to move the bottle over. Did you have to do anything to give it space? Did you do anything to retain the level sensor for the washer fluid?

Hmm, in the picture below it looks like there might be room, but mine is bent so the space might be more than normal. I do intend to get my bent parts fixed someday.

bentfrontexample.jpg

Rod, the battery is just a Sears Gold Die Hard with the stickers removed from the top.

Mike, the newer washer bottle already has provisions for a level sensor, I just extended the wiring to it. I did not really do anything special to fit it in that space on my 89.

Back