Starts....then dies.

Brandon

Ok, I posted a thread about this last week named "Cam Sensor", but didn't really find anything out. After a recent rebuild, my car will start up, but after about 5 seconds it shuts off. I never had the car running before the rebuild, so I started checking everything I could think of. I set my cam sensor because the timing was off. I thought this would solve my problem, but no. I've checked all grounds. I even unbolted the exhaust, since I thought it might be plugged. I can't find any vacuum leaks. I obviously have fuel at the rail, but I haven't checked to see what kind of pressure I have. I've also looked at the MAF (filaments?) and they weren't dirty. I don't know where to turn from here...please help!!

how old is your fuel filter? deos it die with your throttle open a little? deos it seem to run well before it stalls?
joe

Don't know how old the fuel filter is...although it looks relatively new. Yes, it still dies with the throttle open.

Plugs and wires are new.

fuel pressure

Have you tested the fuel pressure on the rail with engine off and when running? (look for 35lbs or more)

Also, did you connect the fuel rail regulator vacuum hose back on?

Have you done any wiggle tests....on wire connectors?

you can get a good fuel pressure tester for like $40 that will work on Ford, GM, Chrysler.............you need to know fuel pressure, not just that you have fuel at the rail. I got mine at NAPA, part number 700-1886. It's made my Actron, if you dont' have a NAPA store i saw the same tester at Sears but they use a different part number.

Well guys, I checked the fuel pressure when starting the car up and it reads around 38lbs. When the car dies it goes up to around 42. Is this normal? If not, what could cause this...fuel pressure regulator? Thanks again!

you can't keep it running by giving it gas? maybe your tps or iac is bad? i think your fuel pressure is normal. you may have a nasty vacuum leak somewhere.
joe

The more and more I read it seems like a vaccum leak, yet you've said you checked them all... I know that when I re bulit my heads I forgot to connect the TPS and well the car still ran but at times it would studder and miss...never start and die.

The only time I ever had stat and die was when I need some permatex blue on my IC tubes or blower top...

-Tim

i think it's your iac. if you unplug that while your engine is running it will stall unless you give it gas. i would change it and see what happens. get it at ford because the ones at other parts stores are diferent.
joe

Back