Cleaning aluminum parts

racer88

What is the best what to clean and shine up aluminum parts, such as the timing chain cover, oil pan, water pump. I tried to use aluminum wheel cleaner but it didn't do what I wanted it to do.

Thanks for any help

Bennie

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Have you tried a product called NEVER-DULL? It's made by Eagle One. It's a rolled up wad of wool with cleaner in it. Rub rub rub wipe wipe wipe and it makes aluminum shime like a mirror. It's for use on all metals.

Sand the parts with sandpaper.
Start with 150 grit.To get the casting mark off.
Then use 300 grit to remove the pits.
Then use 400 grit untill the surface perfectly smooth.
Then use a buffing wheel to bring it up to the shine you want .

Is bead blasting anything like sand blasting? If not the where can I have this done or can I do it my self?

Bead blasting is exactly like sand blasting, but you use "glass beads" instead of sand. The beads are almost the size of baking soda.

Bead blasting just provides a much smoother end result than does sand blasting. if you are just looking at wanting to remove the paint, and any rust that might have accumulated over the years, then bead blasting, and then repainting is the way to go.

Good luck.

P.S. you can get the glass beads from Granger's, or any sandblasting material supplier.

A quart of paint stripper will clean parts good to, bear aluminum ,or painted parts.
You can buy some at your local parts store.

mineral spirits

That is what parts cleaner is, But it costs alot more for the bottle to say "parts cleaner" than for it to read " paint thinner" That and some elbow grease will do wonders

Back