PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my exhaust set-up...

SeanMatteson
04-27-2003, 09:59 PM
In the past, I've posted under many threads about the exhaust system I had installed last Fall. Unfortunately, I have yet to get an opportunity to snap some pics of the system while the car is up on a hoist. This past weekend, we had to drop the whole system in order to pull the tranny for a clutch swap. This afternoon, we laid the system out on my driveway in the sun so that I could get some decent pictures of it. I promised that as soon as I had some pics, I'd post them, so here goes...

Here's the first, showing the entire system. You'll have to disregard the red overspray on my nice Borla mufflers. The car just came back from the body shop a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't clean that off until after we snapped the pics today.

SeanMatteson
04-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Here's a shot from the back of the system facing forward. These mufflers are the Borla 40665's, which measure 19" long, and 9.5" wide by 4" tall. They are cavernous enough that I get away without any resonator. With the X-pipe, I get a nice sound without the nasty drone.

tbirdsc357
04-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Very nice Sean.

That's the first time I got a look at your set up since you got it installed. Clean up the red paint and you are all set........not that anyone can/will see it:)

SeanMatteson
04-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Here's a close-up of the Magnaflow X-pipe. The whole system is made of stainless steel. I've got mandrel bends up to the cats, and then pressure bends thereafter. Everything is 2.5" in diameter. The cats are high-flow units I purchased from Super Coupe Performance. Apparently, they aren't the C&L units that Bill E. used to sell, but instead are the same units that Bassani uses on their catalytic H-pipes. The plumbing is 409 SS, while the components are 304 SS. The welds were all done with stainless wire in a MIG machine, but due to the heat at the time of welding, they've started accumulating some surface rust.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to email me.

Best regards,

Sean

SeanMatteson
04-27-2003, 10:20 PM
Steve,

Thanks! Actually, shortly after Paul M. took these pics, I got out a rag and some Varsol and cleaned the overspray off. It cleaned up well, but you're right, no one ever really sees it anyway!

I was anxious to get the system back under the car and bolted up so that I could test drive the new clutch and stuff.

Cheers,

Sean

KClarke
04-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey Sean,
Looking good. Next time we meet I'd like to hear the system. I believe there is a paint for welds that will reduce rust. Maybe a welder here knows what I'm talking about...

SeanMatteson
04-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Keith,

I'm looking into some brush-on Zinc coating which I hope will stop the rust without looking too nasty. I'm not sure it will handle the countless heat cycles though.

You can have a listen the next time we get together. My car has sort of become a demonstrator for exhaust systems by Budget Exhaust & Automotive in Burlington, Ontario. ;)

Thanks again for your help on the weekend!

Cheers,

Sean

89xr7man
04-28-2003, 02:23 PM
So are you using Factory headers or aftermarket? I was wanting to install the hi-flow cats also but still have factory headers, can I use 2.5" downtubes?

SeanMatteson
04-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Brent,

I'm running ported stock exhaust manifolds. I've got 2.5" downtubes. I've got a slight leak on the driver's side at the point where the downtube bolts to the exhaust manifold, and the guys who did the work are going to seal this up for me.

Headers are really nice, but a set of headers for a Super Coupe can get pretty pricey! The stock manifolds don't perform all that bad once you hog them out a little. There are many guys in the SC community now who offer porting services for stock manifolds, and other SC parts.

Best regards,

Sean

XR7
04-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Sean,,

I would probably never get the opportunity to hear your car in person..

Is there anyway, or do you have a sound file for your exhaust?..

I am getting ready to open the exhaust on my Cougar now... an very interested in your system you put together..

89xr7man
04-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Thank Sean, that's what I needed to hear! :)

SeanMatteson
04-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Karl,

Actually, you must have read my mind! I would like very much to get some sound files. You're not the first guy to ask for something like that. I'm just trying to work out the best way to deliver something like that. I can't think of anything that I own that I could use to obtain a digital sound bite.

Any suggestions guys and girls?! I know some of you have done this. Maybe I need someone with a digital camera capable of a little MPEG action. Then I could pull out the audio only.

If I make any progress on this, I'll definitely post it.

Best regards,

Sean

pastera
04-29-2003, 10:13 AM
How about a good old tape recorder and then run the headphone jack on the recoder into the line in on the computer.

what kind of money are you looking at?

I want to do somthing similar up front but I have an 89 and don't want to change the tank, so it's single to the back with a resonator.

Aaron

SeanMatteson
04-29-2003, 12:06 PM
pastera,

I did think of that, but I was concerned about sound quality with using an old tape recorder. Heck, I don't even think I own something like that.

My system cost me around $1325.00 CDN, or around $890.00 USD complete. That didn't include the costs associated with upgrading to the newer style fuel tank, which is required in order to run this system on an early SC. I needed to replace my fuel pump anyway, so it was the perfect opportunity to swap in the newer tank. I got a mint tank out of a '95 LX 4.6L car. These are supposedly better, because the sending unit is made from stainless steel, unlike the older units which are more prone to rot. I bought a 255 lph FI pump kit from Auto Performance Engineering for $107 USD plus shipping and duty, and I think I paid about $200 for the complete tank with straps/shield, etc.

There are two benefits to switching to the newer style tank. First, it makes for more room for the twin 2.5" pipes to be routed through. More important though, it smooths out the bends through the tank section, thus reducing the restrictions.

I got a fantastic deal on having this system installed/fabricated, so you might expect to pay a little more than that for the same system. ...Or, you could drive up here to Burlington Ontario and have the same system done by the same shop?! ;)

Best regards,

Sean

Mike8675309
04-29-2003, 12:32 PM
If you have a buddy with a PocketPC PDA, most of those can record sound files to them. Then they can transfer it to a wav file on their computer.

Sound quality isn't great, but it isn't bad either.

SeanMatteson
04-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'll look into borrowing one for that purpose. I haven't broken down and bought a PDA for myself yet.

Cheers,

Sean

chepdog
06-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Thats a great setup you have there, and thats what i wanted to see, a system that can be built from from scratch and still have some money left over. Thanks again.

gldiii
06-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Ditto on the 19" Borlas. I had a similar dual setup with X-pipe fabricated about 3 years ago. It originally had the 14" Borlas and the drone was absolutely terrible. You need the longer mufflers if you are deleting the resonator!

1BADSC
06-11-2003, 07:28 PM
you cna get a sound file using any modern camcorder and windows XP. Or you can get even better sound quality if you use a digital camcorder that uses a firewire connection instead of slow USB.

phils89sc
06-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Can I get a sample of the way it sounds as well? It looks awesome!!

Thanks

Phil

XR7 Dave
06-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Just a note for some of you XR7 guys. Due to the lack of a rear valence on your cars, the mufflers will be hanging out in plain view from the rear. Just wanted to let you know before you go ahead with something like that and then don't like it afterward. :)

SeanMatteson
06-12-2003, 01:24 AM
Dave raises a good point. Just to clarify, by using the 19" long Borla mufflers, the installer really doesn't have any choice but to angle them at about 45 deg from the centerline of the car in order to fit them (starting just after the pipes clear the rear of the diff cover. The stock mufflers on the XR7's involve pipes going left and right from the diff, and then bending 90 deg into the mufflers which are lined up parallel to the centerline of the car, and therefore can be tucked up into the wells behind the wheels nicely.

...One possible solution is to equip your XR7 with SC skirts and rear bumper cover! ...Just like Mark up in Michigan, and Les Borda here in Ontario. That makes for one sweet lookin' cat!!! ;)

For all you guys requesting sound clips of my exhaust, leave it with me for a little while, and I'll see if I can't come up with something. My digital camera isn't capable of .mpeg (it's too old), but I may be able to get one of my fellow SCCoO members to shoot some video complete with audio. I've got some software that can strip out the audio only.

Cheers,

Sean

joenintiesc
06-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Looks great, Sean! Isn't it a nice feeling knowing that your exhaust is completely upgraded? I did my catback April last year, and finally finished it this past April with ported manifolds, Dynomax hi-flow cats from Summit, and custom downtubes from Midas! Just in time for the MPII blower/pleum/top combo. Next stop- 5 or 10% pulley! :D

SeanMatteson
06-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Joe,

Yes. It's nice to feel confident that I'll never outflow my exhaust system in the future.

At present, I'm running Steve Richards' MPII Blower and MP Intake Plenum, with a 10% OD pulley. I did upgrade to a 255 lph FI fuel pump, and FMS 42#/hr injectors. I'm running my 75mm BBK TB, and my 76mm C&L MAF. I replaced my HG's a little over a year ago, using the newer FelPro composite gaskets, and at that time I installed a set of mildly ported heads with stock valves. I've still got the original stock bottom end, but so far she's been holding up just fine!

I really do think that the stock exhaust system is one of the most important limiting factors on these cars.

Cheers,

Sean

FearThis SC
06-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Very Nice Sean......I like the X PIPE....I should have went that route. As like most things.......its on my short list.

This is all aluminum setup, great for the salt-free south, but wouldn't last in the northern states......gotta love that SS!! I DO! Looks great!

Calvin

Thought I would share........
http://members.tccoa.com/fearthissc/Exhaust2a.jpg