Close but no Cigar (stalling) LOL

MysticGohan51

ok guys....new problem im noticing....when i am driving car seems to be fine....but whem im coming close to a stop then stop my car idles real low as if its going to stall....it doesn't but it seems to be getting worse the more i drive it...what could the problem be....also just for reference.....my black piece on top of my mass air flow sensor broke so the only one i could get was one from a ford taurus...it idled fine when i put it in...is this the problem...hope to hear from you guys soon....Thanks....

Stalling woes...

Is you Check Engine light coming on? Have you run a code test? If everything else is fine, and it is just your idle, then I would suspect the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve on the side of the throttle body. If it is bad, your idle is not controlled. When you shut off the car do you hear any strange noises coming from under the hood, kinda like a howl sound? How does it run other than at idle? How about at full throttle?

Phil

ok....no the check engine light does not come on....it doesn't make a funny sound when i shut off the car....only happens when i am coming to a stop...
thanks

Replace the IAC!!

If it makes a lud hollow howl sound for a second or so on shutdown, then it is your IAC that is bad. Mine did the same thing!! It is not too uncommon a problem, especially on cars with some mileage. Two bolts a gasket and electical connector and your done.

Hope this helps!!

Phil

well....it doesn't make that loud howel that you are talking about......but anyways....how much is that part you are talking about? i am just curious....hop[e to hear from someone soon.....bye.....

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Could be a hose is leaking or has fallen off. The large hoses behind the intake plenum is where you should check first. The IC tubes leak alot at the large nut and the bottom side of the upper connection at the IC.

Spray a little carb cleaner on the IC connections while engine is running.

David

Idle speed is controled by air let into the engine. The throttle plates are set fully closed with your foot off the throttle so to allow the engine to idle, Ford uses an Idle Air Control device. This is a device just past the throttle plates on the throttle body that has a solenoid that drives a valve that can be controlled with fine movements. This bleeds air into the engine to maintain the appropriate idle speed regardles of engine load.

A low idle implies a few possible issues:
A) The engine computer doesn't realize the engine idle is low
B) The engine computer is trying to use the IAC to adjust engine idle, but the IAC is not responding properly.
C) The engine computer is using the IAC, but the IAC is at the max of it's opening and still not enough air is coming in.

#B is the most common, and might be due to a sticky valve. You can try to remove the IAC and clean it with sensor safe throttle body cleaning spray. You need to be careful though not to use too much pressure as it can damage a diaphram inside the sensor. Best to soak the non-electrical portion of the unit in the cleaning solution to let it sit, and then see if that works.

If that doesn't work, it may need to be replaced.

It is on the drivers side of the throttle body.

When the internal diaphram gets torn it will make a noise as the mainfold vacuum is drawn down, sometimes refered to as a 'honking goose'.

Not hard to replace, but get OEM because the parts stores will try to sell one that does not fit correctly (hits the oil filler tube).

Aaron

Back