Q about injector/fuel pump combo...

joenintiesc

So I have some 42# injectors not yet installed. I also have a 190 lph fuel pump, also not installed yet. My friend is helping me do a bunch of other stuff (motor mounts, ported exhaust manifolds install, change ps pump, etc.) and we will not have time to do both injectors AND fuel pump this time around.

Can I safely run the 42# injectors on a stock fuel pump? I have an EEC tuner. Also will be installing a 76 maf, 75 tb, and have the MPII blower/top combo. If I drive "normally" until I install the fuel pump, might I still have a problem?

Thanks for any input...

You will be fine with just the injector change. That setp up will be good up to about 325 hp. Once you get beyond that you will need to change the pump.

Joe,

The 42lb'ers will not create an issue if your EEC Tuner is properly setup. As for the power to fuel pump output. IMHO you will be pushing the limit on the pump. Changing the pump should only take about 1/2 hour or so. Let me know if you need help. You don't want to be a statistic.

Anthony

Maybe a half hour on an SC with stock exhaust... Unfortunately my exhaust is custom, and while they did a very nice job, they didn't leave a whole lot of places where the exhaust can be disconnected and dropped easily... I'm up at Heber's in Jersey City, as he was kind enough to avail his lift and his expertise to my endeavor. Just doing the motor mounts was a god-awful ordeal, since they'd never been done before in the last 180,000 miles! But we'd like to throw on the 42# injectors before we reassemble everything and save the fuel pump for another time...

I'm hoping that since I won't be going to the track anytime soon, nor be looking to kill any ricers on the 1-2 times a week I have my SC out, that I can get by leaving the stock fp in for now. Eventually it will go in, but right now I am seriously testing the boundaries of my friendship with Heber! Fri- 5-11 wrenching, Sat-10am-11pm wrenching, Sun-10am to 8pm wrenching! And we're only halfway done... Not to mention Heber driving me all over looking for parts at the last minute...

Anyway, sorry so long winded and thanks for the input!

Joe,

It sounds like you owe Heber a dinner with some cold beers after all that!!! ;)

Personally, since you've got access to a lift at Heber's place, I would strongly recommend you take advantage of that to install the fuel pump. The injectors can be done in your driveway if need be.

BTW, did you get the car painted yet? I hope you and your wife are still planning to make the trip to Carlisle this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the two of you, and Anthony again!

I'm struggling now to get the go-fast goodies installed in my car in time for the trip to Carlisle. The body-work turned out excellent, and I just got the clutch replaced this past weekend. ...Where does it ever end?!

Best regards,

Sean

Oh, apparently it never does end! Yes, we are still planning to make the Carlisle pilgrimage. It will be down to the wire to get my car painted in time, though...

I am also finishing the the exhaust with ported stock manifolds, hi-flow cats, and custom down-tubes. While it's at the exhaust shop having the down tubes and cats put on, I figures I might ask them to make a cut in the main exhaust pipe somewhere so it can be disconnected - right now it's one piece from the cats all the way to the rear! Then with much bribery and pleading and several cases of cold beer, I may be able to convince Heber to tackle the fuel pump on another weekend. As it is, our weekend project will be lucky if it is done the following weekend! Heber has already posted "Joe's SC NO PARKING ANYTIME" signs all around his garage... :eek: I just don't want to run too lean in the meantime...

I'm glad you new paint turned out to your satisfaction and I'm sure I will be drooling when I see it at carlisle! :D

Back