Fuel Pump???

Titanium Bird

How do you know if the fuel pump is not working. Could it be a relay or something else? What should i due to figure this out.
Thanks

Connect up a pressure guage to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and turn the key to the on position. Without the engine running you should see around 39.5 PSI. Note the pump only runs for 3 sec. if the engine does not then start so have an assistant read the guage or turn the ignition key to on.

noise

Is there a distictive noise coming from the fuel pump while the car is on? If so, the pump could be bad. I have not heard much about bad relay's, but if you have an hour and a half, buy the $65 pump and strainer and replace it. Then if it still does not work, try the relay. how many miles are on your car?? Many fuel pumps go around 130-140K, mine was running fine at 150K, but i replaced it just to be safe.

Big is right. I had the same problem with a noisy fuel pump and replaced it, good as new. I also had a problem with the relay, it would cause the pump to stay running every once in a while with the car off.

sorry forgot about you
when you first turn the key to on, youll hear it make a hmmmmmm noise for a few seconds, if it doesnt do that, then you gotta pump problem

Back