dynomax exhaust, anyone have it

93 Mark VIII

I was looking at the dynomax kit for the 4.6L tbirds wondering if it could be adapted to my SC. Also, just curious if anyone else has something like this?

I really want somthing quiet that has less backpressure than the stock setup.

Brian

I dont have the cat back kit, however, i do have 2 super turbo mufflers on my 94 Sc, and I love the sound. Sounds a little louder then stock, perfect for me, I guess everyone has different preferences though. Just my $.02

I know a couple 4.6 guys who have it, apparently the only problem is the mounting of the mufflers being different between the LX and SC. I cant see that being too hard for a decent exhaust shop to fix.

Ive heard good things about the system, it seems the consensus is that its a little louder than stock and should outflow most other cat-backs.

-Travis

When I was doing some research on what exhaust I was thinking of getting (and never got) was that the Dynomax kit for the 4.6 would fit just fine, except the tail pipes didn't angle down correctly to fit our rear bumper covers. I think it'll even hang fine, it'll just blow the exhaust into the bumper cover.

So a new tail pipe behind the muffler and it's good to go.

I'd get confirmation on that if you can, but that was my understanding.

Dale

I had the V8 Dynomax kit on my 95 5-speed for a few years. It didn't stand up to the local climate very well when I was driving the car year-round. The resonator after the 3rd cat. has the same mounting flange on the 4.6 and the 94 - 95 5-speed SC, other cars a bit of adaptation may be needed. Was just a bit loder than stock, sounded nice. Not sure how much difference, if any, it made for performance. And the tailpipe tips just cleared the bumper cover on my 95, hung down about 1/4" past the bottom edge of the cover.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I moved mine from my LX to the SC. May need to rearrange the rear hangers a bit but it lines up good.

I need a better camera...

rearsc.jpg

I installed the Dynomax kit on my 94 last weekend and it was an easy install . It took a little over an hour to remove the old system and bolt the new one on . It's a little louder than stock so it's not annoying on the highway . As for performance gains , I'm not sure because I installed a 9'' K&N , 89sc pulley , and exhaust at the same time . :D

I have Dynomax cat back system's behind a Magnaflow resonator on both of my SC's, 94 automatic and 95 five speed and I would recommend this system to anyone that's looking for a little louder than stock but not overly loud. The 4.6 system will fit with no problems but the mufflers won't have down turned tips. Getting some welded on shouldn't be a problem at a good exhaust shop though. Fortunately the tips were already welded on when I got my Dynomax systems. :)

I was thinking about going with the SCP downtubes and high flow cats. For those guys here that have the dynomax, did you keep, replace, or remove the resonator?

They used to make a replacment exhaust for the SC..It sounded slightly louder...Was for the old style gas tank..It got rid of that flat peice of pipe the stock system has,,Was also real cheap..However DYno max mufflers like to rot out..And all inall...Car ran same time after exhaust was installed

MarksM said:
I bought that system in 98. It's been on two cars and is holding up fine.

I imagine it has a lot to do with climate. Up here parts rust much more quickly than in your location. Sucks for us.

-Rod

The Dynomax systems I have on my SC's have been on for four or five years now and there holding up just fine with very little rust except a small amount of surface rust which is no big deal. But then again, I always garage my SC's for the winter. :D

Brian,

I have headers no cats Magnaflo 2 x 2.5 in 3 out back to 2 Dynamax mufflers, This setup gave me the result I was looking for. Resonator is a must for it to be quiet.

Gary

Last edited:
Back