AOD Tranny Removal??

twindragons187

how much of a pain in the @$$ is it to remove an aod tranny?? i just got a few quotes on putting one in and they want more then i paid for the tranny...i've never done a tranny job b/f , but i have the book showin how to do it, but just wondering if anyone else has done it, and how hard is it....also, b/f i install the new tranny, should i get a shift kit or something, make it a little stronger? and about how long does it take to remove the tranny and install a new one? thanx for your help...

duston

hmm...

I just actually removed mine, and it is in for service. It actually was not that hard at all as long as you have access to possibly an air compressor and impact wrench. I started by taking all the bolts out of the bell housing (long extensions are needed), the starter, and the torque converter. Which didn't take me long at all. Did it all from underneath the car while it was on jackstands. Next, you have to undo the rear end and drop it down. I beleive I only had to remove 3-4 bolts total, and it lowers just enough to pull the drive shaft out of the trans (much easier than it sounds). Don't drop the gas tank. Thats a horrible way to do it as I found out. But we did have to use a breaker bar to help break the bolts loose that were rusted on there for so many years. Afterward we put a jack under the trans, undid the cross member, and let the trans drop. Also, you have to make sure all your trans lines, and shifter cable hook-ups are undone. But that to is really easy. Probably took us 5 hours total to get it out. Not to bad, and we had never did one on this car before.

thanx for the info....i was just lookin up on the tranny, and found a guy who did the same thing your tellin me...seems easier just droppin the rear diff then the gastank right..?? i'm only payin 200 for a rebuilt tranny...and the guy wanted 500 to change it for me.. ..so i decided to try it myself.....just gonna take my time wid it b/c its my baby....(like most people's sc's)....it never had od since i've owned it....the guy b/f me had the tranns serviced and when they pulled the dip stick out, they knocked off the black plastic piece and the spring from the tb....then od went, and now everything but reverse...so, time to change...

dude, you are not gonna get a properly rebuilt AOD (or any other automatic trans for that matter) for $200.00 There is just no WAY, the torque converter alone probably costs that much. Then the rebuild kit, any hard parts needed, and labor.....It just ain't gonna happen. Someone's sellin' you a used tranny that's been 'rebuilt' by 'overhaul kit in a can', AKA
silver spray paint! The $500 to change it seems steep though, my buddy owns a transmission shop and if someone brings him a wrecking yard tranny i think he usually charges about $300 for R&R.......

Back