PDA

View Full Version : high speed fan-no power

tripntx
04-29-2003, 01:18 PM
New seimans fan, low speed comes on approx "M" in "NORM". If the temp continues to rise past "M", low speed fan shuts off but the high speed fan doesn't receive power. No voltage at the connector. Should I purchase a new IRCM or take it apart?

Does anybody have any suggestions on anything I may have missed? Any thing else besides the IRCM or wire between it and the connector that could cause the high side not to have power. The low side works normally, but it shuts off when the high side should be coming on, leaving me without fan power at a very inopportune time.

(Jeff, I read where you instructed another member to drill the rivets on the back to check the relay contacts, I may give this a try)

BTW, 1990 SC

tripntx
04-30-2003, 01:01 PM
btt

J57ltr
04-30-2003, 02:45 PM
I'll get back to this later. Or give me a call tonight. You's back in Texas right?

Jeff

KarDoktor
04-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Here is a test to see if the relay is good. Find the relay disconnect the connecter so U can identify #14 & #17 wires. Once identified replcae the plug. No need to reinstall the relay now.
Put the ignition switch in the run position.
Ground # 14 the low speed fan will come on. Leave #14 grounded. Now ground #17 the high speed fan should come on. If it does the relay is good.

You can stick a straight pin with a wire attached through the wire to ground it.

If the relay checks out it is not being triggered properly.

If the relay is good & U want to make the fan work earlier U can do this.

Cut #14 and attach the Relay end to #17. Tape off the other end of #14. This will cause the low speed fan to come on any time the engine is running.

Now U can make the high speed fan come on any time U want by grounding #17. U can use a toggle switch or get a fan control switch from Auto Zone U can then set the temp for the Fan to come on.

tripntx
04-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys.

Jeff, I'll be calling you one evening this week.