Tick tick tick.

Matt SC ESC

I am referring this question to mike.

Mike, at 3000rpm, with my AOD put in 1st, i hear this ticking sound, kinda like a loose lifter, while decellerating, or under heavy boost, and high rpm, 4000-4500. My question is this... Is it possible that it's a loose lifter? i have a leak somewhere in my sc/ic region, which i will be fixing... this doesn't have anything to do with it, does it?

Um, I know its not referred to me, but that sounds like detonation/pre ignition. If you have been getting CEL with right or left bank lean, thats where its coming from. QUIT RUNNING THE NAWZ from now until you get it figured out.

Al

alex, i haven't ran it since bakersfield. good thing, hah? no check engine lights... and the a/f ration gauge read inbetween stoich, and rich, under accelleration.... :confused:

So, um I know its kinda hard but can you tell where the tick tick tick is coming from??? Maybe its the metal case of the cats expanding from pressure since they are partially clogged???

Al

I wonder

Matt...Have you ever heard a spark plug arcing and shorting out. Like when a wire is shorting out against the block. It pulses and pops and from far away it sounds like a tick, tick, tick.
Check the car at night and look for arcing of the spark plug wires.

hey im no guru but

I did have a noise like this on a cough choke chevy,

and it was a crack in the flex plate, it was a small crack going from one bolt to the other on center of flex plate you can pry the flex plate a little with a screw driver, and see if it crackles ,

mine did and when i removed trans it only had one bolt hole left holding it, this was after a rebuild of motor,

dont know what caused it but it cracked, made a click click click sound but not in nuetral, only idleing and under torque, I hope this isnt it but its a posibility.

try taking car to service station and put on a lift run it and see where noise is comming from . if its a lifter they are about $65-$75 ,
my wifes ford has a bad hydro lifter and I replaced it turned out the stud was comming out of head and noise returned so measure studs see if they are comming out of head it happens good luck.

Back