tremec? t5? or sixspeed? Or just some explosives?

lessonintorque

I just did an engine swap and you can see from my signature that I put alot of stuff into a months work. I painstakingly did everything I possibley could do in my garage, Ive only owned the thing for a few months, its actually my first non-rotary engine. So here I am thousands of dollars later and my engine looks and runs like a dream. but... now I am grinding into 3rd gear, I am ready to flip out. But im not gonna go crazy..I hope! What Im gonna do instead is ask you seasoned sc vets to throw me a bone. What are my options for a tran, Ill spend the money if it means no more headache, I mean hell, when the engines broken in I want to hit the track but with my tran acting up im a$$out. So if you have a suggestion let me know. I read that the m5 tran doesnt do well with speedshifting, (there goes that brand new spec kevclar clutch!)So please guys hook a brother up. Save a newbie some sanity!

So there is a DROP IN 6-speed for 3.8s?

According to one of the threads there is a drop-in 3.8L compatible six speed for us now from Ford Racing for over $2200?

Do SCs have to mod trans mounts, driveshafts, etc? Just curious...

I have a 94 with a pending CMRE stage II and was looking for an ultimate drivetrain upgrade. Was going to stick with auto, but would consider the manual conversion if there was a way to bring the horsepower to the highway and still take care of business on the track..

Thanks

If you want a tranny that lasts in these cars than you need to go easy on the shifting. If you want to race it then get an automatic from lentech or artcar.

Just have it rebuilt and use the clutch to shift. I'm betting most of the trans. problems are caused by power shifting.

I'm on tranny #2 in mine that is from unknown origins. The car it came from had 175K miles but it still shifts almost flawlessly. It did have 130k written on the side of it in yellow paint marker, so I'm thinking it may have been redone. Although, that would mean it has well over 60k miles on it now.

Use Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple 5w30 oil in it. It'll shift MUCH smoother than using ATF. It may sacrifice a couple more HP and a insignificant amount of fuel mileage, but it's well worth it.

Making sure you have a new clutch, slave cylinder and pilot/throwout bearings is a good idea too. If the clutch isn't releasing correctly, it'll never shift right no matter what trans is in it.

Redline

Blackbird,

Just the Standard Redline Manual Transmission Fliud, or do you have specific weight in mind? Royal Purple 5W30 in a tranny? Are you sure? Lemme know, I need to swap fliuds soon, also, what would you reccommend for the Diff?

Dave

Manual transmission fluid...

Thats a good one...

I use Amsoil ATF...It makes me happy and seems to work well.

redline mtl 90

it has a new throw out, pilot, clutch, and slave cylinder. And I only use redline fluids (old rotary habit use cheap fluid rotary dies) I Never drove it much (about 2 weeks) before the head gasket died ( I was pissed!) So I dont know if the previous owner ragged it or what, it was bought as is at auction for 500$

Mike, I am not sure if you are current with Redline's current product line but they do indeed offer manual transmission fluid.
Redline MTL 90 I do, believe.

Dave

From redlines site
Red Line MTL may be used in transmissions which recommend 70W, 75W, 80W, or 85W GL-4 gear oils, or SAE 30 or 5W/10W30 motor oils. If a 90W GL-4 or SAE 40, 10W40, or 15W40 is required, MT-90 may be used. If the transmission or transaxle requires an SAE 90 GL-5 gear oil, then Red Line 75W90NS or 75W140NS Gear Oil may be used. In transmissions which recommend Dexron or Mercon fluids we recommend our D4 ATF which is very similar to the MTL, being a GL-4 Gear Oil also. The D4 ATF will provide better low-temperature shiftability, and the MTL would provide better wear protection for racing use.

D4 ATF looks like the beast

Aaron

Back