Insight a moral support

SCPilot

Well in the process of pulling my motor. Will someone please slap the living **** out of the freaking engineer that put the bolt behind the P/S pump. I will have to say that the next time I put headers on a SC so far I think it is easier to pull the engine and slap the headers on.
I have seen both sides of the fence. Is this an interference engine or not. I know I will pull the heads but I just want to be prepared what to see after my broken crank
Thanks as always
Tim

It is an interference engine. For the bolt behind the power steering pump I drilled a big hole in the bracket and now I can get to it with a wobbly socket. The headers I have done many times from underneath. On my longtubes you have to undo the steering shaft at the slip joint. Sorry, there are many instances where you have to wonder what the heck they were thinking. :confused:

Guys,

Rent the proper puller to remove and reinstall the power steering pulley once. As soon as the PITA bracket that goes from the accessory bracket (behind the pulley) and over to the water pump housing is removed, toss it as far into your neighbor's backyard as you can!!!

DO NOT REINSTALL IT!!!

...Then you won't have that problem again, and you don't even need a special socket like Mr. Dalke.

I know of at least six of us up here in the SCCoO who have been running their cars for quite some time without that little black bracket without any adverse effects.

Best regards,

Sean

Hey Sean, thanks for that tip! We took off all the accessory brackets to do my motor mounts/exhaust manifolds and haven't yet re-installed everything. My friend who is helping me (ok, realty check- I am helping him , mostly by holding the light and handing him the proper sockets, since his mechanical skills far surpass mine... :rolleyes: ) actually lives in a funeral home, so instead of the neighbor's yard, we will find a nice heavy coffin with some extra room in it to dispose of that bracket! :p

Back