Oil in T-Body and Intake from PCV Sys?

Robert Kohlman

I have a 90 SC and a 95 SC. On my 95 I keep losing oil into the throttle body and out the tail pipes. I had this problem on my 90 when I put a 10% pulley on and solved it with a new PCV Valve.

I have tried different PCV valves including a new stocker with no success. I know that others have had this problem. What can I do to solve it? I am running about 17 lbs. of boost so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I was seeing 15 lbs. of boost with the stock pulley and it did it then also. It is annoying and I think is causing the EGR valve to stick and a CE Light.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Bob

I believe David Neibert is using a filter through his PCV system and from what he said it helps a lot. I can't seem to recall all the detail but I am sure he may be able to explain it better. Good luck

Victor

A filter can reduce flow through the system, and I would think it would clog up quickly. What you need is an oil separator. You can buy them or make one. I'm making one now, I have the container, and I just need to find the right fittings. Mine will have a coil of hose on the inlet to spin out the oil, and the outlet will be in the middle and slightly above. This should separate out most of the oil without creating any loss of flow.

I'm not sure what the commercial ones look like inside. Greddy makes one for about $100 but for all I know it could be an empty aluminum container with two hose barbs. These are popular on turbo imports, they have the same or worse problems with oil as we do.

I haven't found a separator like Rob mentioned, but it would be better. Meanwhile I'm doing something Jason Marsh told me about a couple years ago. Get 2ft of 5/16" hose. Attach 1ft on each end of a generic plastic fuel filter. Plumb the filter between the PCV valve and the intake plenum. The extra hose allows enough length to zip tie the filter to the BAP sensor for easy access and to avoid trapping oil in a low spot.

It works to keep most of the oil out but must be drained about every 3K miles, more often if your in the boost all the time. Total cost was about $5 from Autozone.

PVCFilter.jpg

David

Thanks Dave and Steve,

Hey Steve how soon will you have a production model ready and what will it cost? I am interested in buying one when they are ready. You think that Ford would have developed a check valve on the PCV system that would keep that from happening.

Thanks,

Bob

Back