alternator

turbospeed

i finally got some speakers in the car went to enjoy em and started to see the battery ligth , went to the estereo shop and wasnt the stereo system, took it to the shop and was the alternator .
in the way home car started to lose lots of power and if i went into boots all light almots went down i had to keep the car @3000-4000rpm so it wuld kept running .....

the prices are
58 bucks for a rebuilded one and 90 bucks for a new one..... it is a good price?
does the SC uses a specific alternator or can use the lx one?

Having put over 5 alternators in my car I will recommend this.
Only buy a new alternator, I have had nothing but bad luck with rebuilt electrical parts.
Also, make sure your battery is fully charged after you install the new one. Our cars are not designed to run off just the alternator like older vehicles. If you put on a new alternator without having a good fully charged battery, the alternator will quickly burn itself out trying to recharge it.

Get a capacitor too...

Most who upgrade their system get a capacitor installed to help take the spikes off your alternator/battery caused by the stereo system. I think they're around a hundred bucks. If you buy a new alternator ($), I think it would be wise to install the capacitor (cheap insurance). I have the capability to draw up to 80 amps with my amplifier if it peaks. I have not installed a capacitor yet, because I'm on a single family income with two kids (= no money) and I don't really listen to it too loud (probably because I'm getting older and appreciate my hearing too much), therefore, I don't really draw a huge load off of the alternator/battery. I think the stock alternator can supply a max of 110 amps, but I don't know if that's stock for all SC's. I would assume that any factory thunderbird with a lot of electrical options on it, would have the most amperage capacity. I hope that helps.

Mike

SC alternator

I have a 1000 watt stereo system in my SCand it has been in there since it was new in 91. Both myself and the previous owner went through about 4 different alternators and it's even got two batteries (one normal and an Optima Yellow Top in the trunk). I ended up replacing the alternator with an Autolite 3G 130amp unit made for the 5.0. You need to do a little grinding on the alt mount and redrill one hole. You also need to use the cable tail from a 5.0 . I have not had any more probs for the past 4 years.
I have a spare 3G alternator and 5.0 connectors that I can sell for $85 plus shipping if you are interested. It looks that I won't be needing it.
George Clarke
aka the SonySC@hotmail.com 925-984-3785 cell.

Back