PDA

View Full Version : Should I Change my Harmonic Balancer?

fastsc92
04-30-2003, 11:15 AM
My balancer is fine, and it shows no signs of letting go. I dont want it to let loose on me when I least expect it. Should I change it anyways before it happens? The motor is mostly stock with only bolts on's like MAF, TB, pulley, exhaust and nitrous. Will a new one from ford be fine in my case? The BHJ balancer is 360...plus i'll need a set of pulley's which are another 150. Thats a lot of money. I heard the stock replacment goes for about 250, and comes with a pulley installed. Which would be better in my case. This pulley has held up for 103,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Scott Long
04-30-2003, 11:20 AM
I made it 183k on my car before the head gaskets blew, and the balancer is fine. The problem is the bolts snap after a while, and if you remove it and re-install the balancer it will have a little play and thats not good. Replace the bolt if anything. On my 92 it has 152k miles, original balancer but I just put a new bolt in it but the balancer wasn't removed. I would put a new crank bolt in it and not worry about it.

Did you run your 14.2 on the nitrous?

fastsc92
04-30-2003, 01:21 PM
that ran 14.2 with only a CAI, 5% pulley and full exhaust no cats. This winter I did a 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Ported Plenum, Nitrous, AFPR, 3.27 gears, lowered it, and all poly bushings for less/no wheel hop. I'm yet to go to the track this year, it just opened last week. I go every week, and i should be there next week. I hope to see low 13's to very high 12's. I read somewhere that a 60 shot of nitrous takes a full sec. off your time. And gears give about .2 with your 60 foot. I guess I'll find out.

pastera
04-30-2003, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if the damper is in good condition (no wobble), but you do put more of a load on it with the 5% pulley.

I have a BHJ and March UD pulleys and like them, but everything else is stock and very slow. I replaced the damper because it had a slight wobble and I had the money at the time. If I had to do it over I would just put a stock assembly on and use the rest of the money for an exhaust.

Aaron

David Neibert
05-01-2003, 09:50 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I've still got an OEM dampner on mine and I'm overdriving the supercharger about 23% and revving to about 6200 rpms at the track.

A new dampner was installed when the engine I have now was built in Jan of 2002. At the time BHJs were scarce and cost a lot more. If it fails I'll get a BHJ, until then I'm not worried.

David