Wireless or Wire

tbirddan90

Wireless or Wire net?

DSL or Cable

Lets get some conversation going on this, what do you think is better, which has benifits over the other? Any thoughts please share.

:cool:

Dan, just from my experience here, some of my clients have DSL and some have cable. I have cable and the DSL lines just don't download as fast as cable. From the setups here, I wouldn't be happy with anything but cable. Different parts of the country may be different so I can't speak for that.

Just my .02.

One good thing about wireless is you don't have to worry about laying cable all over the house to try and connect more then one computer to a network. That is something we just went over at our house, we had to decide if we wanted to spend the money for wireless or deal with the hassel of the cables.

Wireless or wire....DSL or cable?

Wireless is a question of whether or not you have a cable outlet(Cable) or phone jack(DSL) in everyroom in the house...but if you have those things in everyroom, the next question you would have to ask yourself is,"Can I afford the cable/dsl modems in every room?" If you only have one computer, then, wire is the way to go. With 3 or more, I would go with wireless. With the new 802.11g wireless standard, its almost worth going wireless period. Now on to the Cable/DSL debate.

Cable
Pros: Great for gaming, and just plain surfing net. Distance doesnt limit speeds. Higher download speeds. Download is somewhere around 300-500Kbs. Ive gotten mine to download at 1 Mbs a couple of times.
Cons: Uploads kill connection speeds, especially during gaming. Speeds tend to fluctuate based on number of people connected in your neighborhood/apartment complex.

DSL
Pros: Fast constant connection. Great for gaming and surfing net. Upload is somewhere around 100-128Kbs.
Cons: Distance limits speed. 264Kbs download max, without upgrading service. Constant connection, does not fluctuate.

I personally like Cable better cause Im a gamer. The reason that constant speed is bad(and good in a sense) for DSL is that you cannot go over 264Kbs, that is your allocated bandwidth, and as you can see, with Cable I have hit 1 Mbs a few times. It depends on the sites that I go to, but it can be done with Cable.

Hopefully I didnt bore anyone with my ranting and raving on the subject...Just want to give someone an educated answer, since my job in military is computers and networking.

i have the cable modem option which is excellant. i agree with 89SCK@t with all his points. i love mine for the gaming online. my stepson has dsl and that seems decent to but not as quick.

as for wireless we just got some wireless cards and a wireless router. will be hooking that up in the next week or so. that will be nice to use for my work pc. plus i will not have to run any cables around the house. big plus there

DSL

I have basic DSL through verizon and have a rated DL of 728Kbs and dedicated upload of 128Kbs. Everyone on the block could have it and be surfing and that would still be my speed...not so with cable. Cable has the potential to be faster but DSL WILL be more consistent.

Anthony

Back