coolant in the cylinders

Rob Noth

I didn't think about draining the coolant from the block (duh) before removing the heads, so of course when I removed them it showered the rest of the engine with coolant, and lots ran down in the cylinders.

Is it going to cause any problems if I just leave it for now - obviously I have to change the oil before starting her up, but for now I just wiped up the coolant and put a little oil in the cylinders to prevent any rust.

You have nothing to worry about Rob, it's not enough to cause a problem. In fact I just did my head gaskets and after scraping my decks for a few days, pulling the intake off and see stuff fall into the valley, and scraping of block frosting from old oil leaks in the front cover area I ran the hose around my engine while it drained out of the pan for a while. Moisture will evaporate quickly when the engine starts but dirt and grit will destroy stuff. Always remove any excess water and apply a rust preventer as you did and your're fine.

Vernon

yeah

won't hurt a thing long as you get any dirt out, like vernon said. i didn't get 100% of the coolant out when i did the headgaskets either, plenty spilled into the cylinders - car's just fine. gooood luck with everything!

derrktor feesh

Rob one more thing

Rob get all water out!

(1) run pistion up in one cylinder scrape deck serface

(2) scrape pistion top of all lose carbon build up

(3) vacume around pistion and cylinder blow ring land area with compresor air to get all lose grit and dirt out

(4) run next pistion up clean cylinder whipe with cloth after pistion goes down on the one you just cleaned

(5) spray with a fine mist of CRC its the best as to keep from rusting do each cylinder this way

Hope you follow this we do it all the time on cars;)

Just a flat blade

Rob use a flat blade scraper.
be careful not to dig into the pistion get it all off clean with salvent or paint thinner

If you leave any water or coolant in the ring land area it will rust up blow it out good ;)

MEK and a stiff bristle brush (not a wire brush). Just make sure you lube the area VERY well after because MEK will clean off all of the oil anywhere it goes.

Aaron

Back