short belt for quicker ET's ???

stangbanger67

I was just wondering if anyone has tried running a short belt with any success to lower 1/4 mile times like the 5.0 guys. Also has anyone tried a smog pump eliminator kit and/or an a/c eliminator kit for a 5.0 mustang ? If so , how much quicker did it make the car and what other mods where on the car before you tried it??

if your car has a smog pump take a picture of it because as far as i know are cars didn't come with one:)

there is an ac idler but the only thing your saving is weight 12-15 lbs just unplug your ac compressor when your going down the track (the 2 pin electrical plug not the freon lines)

I have seen one person use a shorter belt at the track. His lower radiator hose is special (flex type extra length) and allows for a belt swap that eliminates the power steering without removing the radiator hose. Like someone already said, SCs don't have a smog pump.

Does it help ?...Maybe half a tenth.

if you wanted to delete ps it would be easier to fab. a tryangular plate w/ an idler pully

if you wanted to delete ps it would be easier to fab. a tryangular plate w/ an idler pully

Scotte,

I'm only talking about deleting the PS while racing, but I still don't understand how you think it would be easier to fab a mounting plate and idler pulley, than it is to swap a belt.

With a longer flex type hose on the bottom, it can be held against the drivers side frame with a bunge cord instead of going thru the accesory belt. With the hose pulled out of the way, switching the belt only takes about 2 minutes.

David

smog pump

I just sold a 95 SC, and The "smog" pump pully was rough, so when i went to get a new one, the listing for it was a "smog pump pully" It just looks like an idler pulley to me but, thats what advance's computer said.

On our car it's called the JackShaft pulley as that is the function it performs. It simply transfers the power of the crankshaft to the pulley on the end of the supercharger.

Someone is selling a new Jackshaft pulley made out of aluminum that has increased HP by up to 14 simply by swapping the pulley which is stock diameters. Oh yeah baby!

Back