recommended oil

jgersin04

what is the recommended oil that i should use in my SC. when i first changed my oil the engine was running good and cool....but after about 1,000 miles the engine started to get hott again. i used regular 10W30 oil. would 5w30 synthetic oil be better? help me :confused:

I've been told that Redline is worth the money... but it is a lot of money. Personally I would only use synthetic in my car. I wouldn't think you should have to worry to much about 5w30 or 10w30 making a big difference where you live. I actually ran 0w30 for a bit, was told that for Arizona summers though 10w30 or even 10w40 is a must.

Can someone explain the dis/advantages of the different motor oil weights. Assume I know nothing about the topic (may or maynot be true)

Quich and dirty.
In the old days oil came in one thikness 10 20 30 40 50 ect. As old oils heat up they get lots thiner. Thick oil is harder to move using more power to move and harder to squeze out.
Manufacturers set clearances for the bearings and recommend an oil to fill the clearances. Too thin it squeezes out not enough lubrcation too thick and it can't get into the bearing area. Both conditions are equally bad.
Now we have oils that are multiple viscosities ie: 10 w 30 0 w 30 ect. the first number is the oils flow rate the second is it's lube potential. I use 0 w 30 Mobil1 it is easy to move taking less power to move the oil and lubs like any 30 weight oil. Mobil 1 is very slippery too.
In the old days when it was cold U had to let an engine warm up prior to driving. U also used different weight oils depending on the weather. Todays oils are very stable and now U don't have to.

Back