Rebuilt 3.8 startup

racer88

I am just finishing rebuilding my 3.8 SC.
With having new HG's, I was wondering if I should break the engine in with the super charger or just leave the belt off and start the engine and break it in without the SC

By starting the engine with new HG's with the supercharger put too much intake pressure on the HG's.

I know that the 3.8 will run without the supercharger, not sure which way to go.

Can someone help me with this?

built for boost

alright my friend, your engine heads head gaskets blck was designed for forced induction. You do not need to break it in without sc. If you were talking about a naturaly aspirated car with an aftermarket sc that MAY be different, an aftermarket set up is much more intrusive. And I wouldnt recomend running it without boost, It may not damage something but all you would have in my opinion at least is a 150hp **** box slower than your grandmas power wheel chair.

I don't plan on driving the car without the SC hooked up, just starting the engine and breaking in the new bearings. Something that I was taught, was to let the engine run for about 30 min at the first time you start a new rebuilt engine

1800 rpms

run it in neutral at 1800 rpms for 15 minutes dont stop untill 15 minutes are up, then drive it up to 50mph then take your foot of the gas, let it drop to 30mph, this seats the rings at a variety of speeds do that 10- 12 times in a row. that will seat those rings for ya I highly recommend that, every boy is different but thats the way i was taught. Good luck

Back