Tranny......

MysticGohan51

ok maybe you guys can answer this.....my car seems to get to about 3000 rpms before it shifts gears and this just doesn't seem right to me.....im thinking my tranny is starting to get bad.....i just had the tranny oil changed and a new filter hoping possibly that would change but it didn't....is it normal to change so late or is the beginning of the end of my tranny.....and also.....if that is the case....i will rebuild it myself(i hope)...Also its an 89 Automatic......it is kinda easy at all....and how much would it cost me for parts...i would really like to know.....hope to here from some of you soon....Thanks.....

......Just adding to this......what happens exactly is its different for each gear basically when it changes happens between 2000-3000 rpms......but when i let off the gas it changes pretty smoothly.....also when im driving around 50.....for a few minutes it doesn't change gears or anything but all of a sudden kinda like chugs or thuds...however you wanna call it......i would really appreciate some feedback.....hope to hear soon from someone....

Thanks....

Don

Last edited:
I haven't had my SC that long but I know I had the same problem on my Mustang. Turned out to be the vacuum modulator. As I understand, it basically changes the shift points based on engine vacuum. Lower vac=more throttle so higher shift points. On mine the modulator had a hole in the diaphram so it always saw low vac and raised the shift points.

i will say.......my tv cable plasctic piece did break off and i did buy that new replacement part.....i don't know if that is the reason.....how do i check the adjustment?...it'd be nice if thats the only problem

AOD Rebuild time

If the Throttle Value (TV) cable is adjusted right.....then it's time for an AOD rebuild.

Make sure they/you use the 2inch band. Do the rear main seal while the trans is out.

I just had one done with the above for $875 out the door with a 15K or 15 month warranty for my 90 SC daily driver.

Good luck

man that would SUCK lol.....i don't have money for that by any means........also.....when i drive fast it shifts perfect...and sometimes it shifts good then others it goes toi a high rpm before shifting.....or i can let off the gas and it shifts.....so it is time for a rebuild?

that actually sounds kinda normal...

I had the same wierdness in my 93 and thought there was something wrong with it.

If the TV cable is ok, then I would assume it is the same abnormality that I had known for a while...

Does this happen with very very light acceleration or just mid-throttle acceleration?

I remember that if I pressed on the gas at the right time or the right amount, the car would drop into OD sloppily and feel like crap. It would also be at a higher RPM...

My fathers Grand Marquis does this too at the same throttleplay...I also got about 500 shaved off the price of my 94 (yeah, different trans...but) by messing with the throttle and making it shift all funky because I knew the car...

"Uh oh...may need some tranny work" hahahaha...

Check your transmission mounts, motor mounts and bushings and **** too....

Worst case scenario is the OD band is getting toasty...I would start saving off to the side just in case, opt for the heavy duty AOD rebuild kit and 2" overdrive band. A good transmission shop will know where to get special duty parts for AODs that will make it even stronger...tell them you also want the 94-95 47R4W gear train if you have the money. If you fall into a little more cash, get a 10" 2200-2500 non-lockup converter...

If you'd like I know a transmission shop out here that builds kick *** converters and transmissions (the converter guy used to work for Grand National/Typhoon custom shop...he builds the **** out of those converters)

- Mike

Back