Subs too heavy..air bag assist or new box??

Mike Manzo

I just installed my new shocks and springs and when turning a corner sometimes and coming out a driveway, the rear driver tire SCRAPES the hell out of the fender well..

The other side is fine and I know why...

I have a 12" Orion HCCA sub that weighs some ungodly amount and a huge vented enclosure made out of MDF that extends from the driver wheel well to close to the middle of the trunk then from the lip of the opening to the trunk all the way to the back...

Dammit...I liked the efficiency of the vented enclosure and I paid $125 for this "Official Orion" enclosure (like 2 years ago..hahaha)

Anyway, I think I'm gonna gut the box and flip the speaker over to the right side of the box and more toward the middle of the trunk, but moving the whole unit to the middle of the trunk would be optimal...Hell a sealed enclosure would be the best way to go to remove some weight of the box itself, but that would possibly mean redoing the box for the 2 8" subs as well, not to mention re-routing the caps and the wiring (maybe).

My question (after all that **** above) is can I possibly help this situation by getting the airbags and inflating the driver side more to compensate for the weight? (Not to mention my fat *** on that side too)

The whole trunk is dynamat on top of it, so I think the airbags will help with leveling out the car.

I just would rather funnel the cash I have now to performance rather than car audio which is usually something I tinker with in the winter.

Hum...stereo sag eh...

Hum, looks like you have a slight "stereo sagg" problem...it happens to all of us. Some just live with it, others lower the front of the car to match. But, your car bottoms out (singel 12" and box shouldn't be that heavy)...how low is the car?

Take the box out...if it still rubs, you have to fix another problem first...air bags will work great. Or if it's just the tire that rubs, you may be able to "roll" the inner edge of the quarter pann.

Hope this helps,

Rino

Back