Quarts or Gallons?

moody moodz

After seeing Monster Garage I have decide to paint my bird a
Cider Red with a Ice Red Pearl and a touch of red metal flakes. I am going to buy the paint from the house of kolor a lil bit at a time to save on cost. I was wondering if i should be buying it in Quarts or in Gallons and what size and how much of the flakes should I get...

this is the idea i am going for...

streetsweeper

if anyone can help out then please let me know...oh also i need to get a white primer sealent.

thanks

Moody Moodz

Kinda depends on a lot of things. If you primer/seal the whole car you'll save on color. Some reds don't cover very well and you have to use more if you do any spot body work to keep the color even. BTW... reds are usually the most expensive colors.

If you reduce 1:1 and paint the whole car a gallon MIGHT do it. If you do the jams, trunk lid, etc it'll take more. Also, if you're using a HVLP gun it'll take less color/clear than a regular gun.

As far as the flakes I haven't really messed with adding them to a color. I've just gone with standard mixes. One reason is if you have to repaint a panel later on it could be pretty tough to match a color with more flake added.

That sounds good. Since we moved to Outinthesticks Montana I've been a lot more cautious about depending on a paint shop to do anything right!

I'm building a paint booth this summer. Since I've started getting back into rebuilding cars I decided it's time for something more permanent than the old plastic hut.

Post some pics when you get it done.

Back