separating spring from front shocks..?

bigcletus94

Going to try and install my springs/shocks today. I was reading the howto on mn12performance.com and they say not to attempt to separate the front spring/shock assembly rather take it to a shop. I borrowed a cheesy spring compressor from my friend but it doesn't look very heavy-duty. If I take the spring to a shop to have it separated, would I need them to put the new combo together for me or is that something that I can do myself? Thanks for any info.

take the parts to a shop and have them put together. you can reinstall them yourself, but its far too dangerous to try and compress that front spring yourself without the right tool. theres enough stored energy in that spring to put you through a wall and kill you if it went badly. play it safe, a shop wont charge more than 20.00 to do what you need

Just visualize that flimsy spring compressor exploding into pieces under 700+ pounds of spring pressure, now imagine one piece piercing your eyeball and sticking in your brain. Then the $20 at a tire shop won't seem too bad... ;)

Back