OEM replacement downpipes with converters

Rich Thomson

Found a web site selling a set of factory replacement downpipes with converters. Both look better than the OEM cats. They use mandrel bent pipes too! http://www.catalyticconverter.net

Left Side Downpipe

14494.jpg

Right Side Downpipe

14493.jpg

Called them up. High flow cats but the tubing is 2 inch. They told me they do replications. So if some one had a nice set of downtubes and cats for location purposes they would use those as a model. They sell Magnaflow for the Cat back portion of sytems.

Thanks... For stock manifold applications, probably a nicely worked coupling that is more than 2", but slightly less than 2.25" that transitions to 2.5" pipe in and out of the cat would probably be ideal! I've heard the SCP 2.25 downpipes are still a little hard to get a leak free seal on.

I know it states NA only

I use to sell an exhaust system and 89-95 drivers side downpipes were all the same. 02 was in the exhaust manifold. I cannot remember 100% but I believe the only difference was that the O2 sensor was located in the exhaust manifold not the downpipe on the passengers side. This is the downpipes I sold you see the passengers side looks different than the above picture.
exhaust19.jpg

The SCP bends are not that smooth of a bend,they are flatten on the inside of the bend.
These look a lot better,as far as a mandrel bent tube claim.

Re: I know it states NA only

Rich Thomson said:
I cannot remember 100% but I believe the only difference was that the O2 sensor was located in the exhaust manifold not the downpipe on the passengers side.

The angle of the collector changed between 93 and 94 on the passenger side. Also, the 89-93 passenger side manifolds had the O2 sensor, where as the 94-95's had the passenger side O2 just after the manifold. At least it has been that way with all f the MN12's I've dealt with.

-Rod

On my 89, the Driver's side o2 sensor is in the manifold, the Passenger side o2 sensor is in the down pipe.

The passenger sidee has more of a gradual bend. The Driver's side is closer to a 90 do to the right angle inlet/exhaust of the stock cat. The right and left exhaust manifolds on my car are not symetrical.

The pictures from http://www.catalyticconverter.net don't show the bung for the o2 sensor. The location for it can't be seen in Rich's picture. It should be on the inside of the passenger down tube just down from the connection to the manifold.

The Thunderbird SC is dramatically different than the LX as far as engine placement. On the first SC's, (89 thru something, 91?) the ABS system consisted of a considerably sized brake master cylinder. This required the engine to be offset towards the passenger side. This might account for a difference in LX vs SC application.

The newer cars also have a revised cat back routing of the exhaust which also changes the requirements.

I sent an Email to them asking where in Mass they are located.

If they are close enough, I will take a drive by and see if they can do something with my 89 auto.

Aaron

The picture looks good. Not very inexpensive for us 89-90 folks, but within the ball park of the costs if you are trying to build it from scratch. Especially for my region where exhaust shop prices are high.

I'll be checking them out later this year.

$400 downpipes with cats/resonator and add a Dynomax cat-back 17379 for $200 you now got a completely new exhaust for $600!

I called about the 89-90 systems.

The 4610 model has three cats - so you probably don't need that unit. So you can get a magnaflow resonator with the 4508-4509 and come in at around $300 plus the cat back system.

Aaron

One other pointer that I thought about last night. When looking at complete systems. Make sure the cats you get are 3-way and not 2 way. Cars with EGR should pass emissions with 2 way, but the SC's without EGR should have 3 way cats to keep NO2 under control.

All the Thunderbird cats were three way. No air pipe. The cats shown are all three way. They all will flow more than the OEM cats.

Back