What is the fluid capacity....

Deep6

For the power steering system? I'm looking to flush the old fluid out this spring and I want to know how much new fluid to buy?

Also, should I run some kind of cleaner through it? Like fuel injection cleaner to get it really clean inside before I fill it with new fluid? or would that damage the Unit? Just a dumb question....

buy about 5 liters of type F or actual power steering fluid(return whats not needed).Dont run any cleaner, do this...

-remove the return line (one under the pump) either at the pump or at a connection below the pump by the cross member.

-plug the line that runs to the pump

- put a hose on the return line that goes to the pump into a bucket

- remove the coils pack wires at the coil pack( not the plug wires)

- fill reservoir with new fluid

- crank engine over while swinging wheel from left to right

do this several times until the fluid draining looks like new, if you have leaks or odd noises you could add "Lucas" or "Lube-Gaurd" conditioners before you fill with regular fluid.

What kind of fluid is recommended?

I keep forgetting if it is ATF or Type F power steering fluid?

ATF= Automatic Transmission Fluid

Type-F is a type of ATF, it doesnt have friction modifiers, use actual power steering fluid, works slightly better (clear in color)

-ATF Type-F is what the factory puts in power steering(also used in older Ford transmissions)

-generic power steering fluid is clear (label will say what vehicles it works on)

Maybe that is why...

Our power steering pumps whine all the time, even when new?

ATF-type F doesn't contain friction modifiers and makes the pump whine...

So any "regular" power steering fluid recommended for "Ford" should do the trick of fluishing out the system.

Know of any where I can get an inline pump line filter to help prolong the life of the pump?

I guess when all is said and done, I'll chuck in a couple of quarts of redline power steering fluid.

the stuff meant for it is a little quieter. The filter is a waste. Just flush it every few years or when it turns dark is good enough

Back