one last inquirery about gears for me and im done!

SCboost

i can't get a solid answer on gears ANYWHERE. not in the search function or anything. some say 3.08, some say 3.27. please help. some say 3.08 if you want future mods...I WANT SOME SERIOUS MODS IN THE FUTURE. Some say that 3.27 are too much and i would have trouble makin the tires stick (street tires) and that i would get tired of spinnin them. can i get some set ups and how you feel about your gears. and a short list of things done to give me an idea if i am wasting my time. i want my car for track use and street (daily driver). flat track. not drag. screw 1/4 mile in my opinion. just a measurement for me. thats all. thanks again for the help guys. i have to turn to people with personal experience in these areas. stevo.

What kind of top speed to you think you will need on the flat track? Also why should you be worried about wheel spin if you don't care about the measured quarter mile? In flat track racing run the gear that gives you the best accelleration and allows you to reach the highest speeds possible, you only have to launch once, and usually that's a rolling start. These engines repond better than any other type to an 15 lb. aluminum flywheel. Using one with 3.27's is an excellent combination that is easyer to modulate wheelspin than 3.08's with the stock iron flywheel. I have been using the 15lb flywheel with 3.27's for years and love it. Recently I've redid the engine with serious low end torque reducing mods and installed a closer ratio '95 transmission, now I believe 3.55's would be a better choice due to the amount of clutch slippage needed to get rolling in stop and go traffic. As for wheelspin, I could run a t-56 and 2.73's and still not hook up if I dumped the clutch in first gear at anything under 30 MPH. You will find that with minimal mods the stock flywheel and 2.73's will do the same, if you do them right. But that's what a driver does, he controls wheelspin with skillfull application of torque. Gears are just a car part not a launch controller. This ain't no Mustang so get any idea of launching with the front wheels in the air on the street out of your head, it aint gonna happen.

Strait answer: Go with an aluminum flywheel and 3.27's, I and many others since have and everybody loves it.

Vernon

Back