Installed a new radiator but

blown11

Today I installed a new radiator from radiator express. The install went good, but I also changed the thermostat at the same time. I was kinda iffy about this went I put it back because It didnt seem to wanna sit in there good. Now It leaks like crazy from the thermostat housing, So I cant fill the radiator up or start the car. Any helpful hints on installing this thermostat? Also I put in orange radiator fluid not knowing it was orange. Is this going to be a problem or can I keep it?
Thanks

--lance

! Was there green coolant in the system?? You must immediatley remove all coolant from your system, without starting the engine! When the green & orange coolant mix, they form corrosive mixture capable of damaging surrounding parts. GM uses the orange coolant in modern cooling systems. Even when an old cooling system is completley flushed & drained of old coolant, there are still sometimes problems associated with the changeover. It was supposed to be better for transfering heat & reduce damage caused by the toxic substance found in green coolant, but many mechanics have associated it with headgasket failures in GM vehicles.

In any case, it must come out of your car if you didn't thoroughly remove all old coolant. Hopefully others will have more information on this.. I'm not sure to what extent the damage can be or how quickly it occurs.

some information:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/Manual/radiator/radiatorreplacement.htm

Last edited:
Back