What should I do (if anything).....

I ordered a 255lph (high pressure) fuel pump from Supercoupe Performance and a friend of mine advised me that I would likely need an upgraded FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. He is a general car mechanic.
Is this true????:confused:
Also will this pump be too much for my otherwise stock SC, or should I wait on other upgrades before I install it.:confused:
DB91

What's up DB91 ???!!! You know , i was wondering that same thing when i saw you post about the fuel pump on the other forum. I was thinking that you would need the bigger injectors to even need that pump at all . I think the upgrade pump for stock SC's is the 190 lph. However if you are going down the performance road ( he he why not ?) Upgrade the intake, Exhaust ( you probably have ) Big MAF, bigger throttle body,SC pulley and then you will need that 255 lph pump!!
This is just my .02 maybe with a diff. regulator ,you can use the
255 but i don't know that it's gonna make you smile without the other upgrades in conjunction.

SC's ( we love to see you smile ) :D

Jeff

JSC said:
What's up DB91 ???!!! You know , i was wondering that same thing when i saw you post about the fuel pump on the other forum. I was thinking that you would need the bigger injectors to even need that pump at all . I think the upgrade pump for stock SC's is the 190 lph. However if you are going down the performance road ( he he why not ?) Upgrade the intake, Exhaust ( you probably have ) Big MAF, bigger throttle body,SC pulley and then you will need that 255 lph pump!!
This is just my .02 maybe with a diff. regulator ,you can use the
255 but i don't know that it's gonna make you smile without the other upgrades in conjunction.

SC's ( we love to see you smile ) :D

Jeff
Thanx Jeff! I am basicly thinking that I will just sit back and stockpile thousands of dollars worth of stuff until it's time to put it all together!:D Right now I don't have "doodlie sqat" for upgrades (except the pump!)
DB91:D

You can use that pump with the stock regualator. It is more than you need but it won't actually hurt anything. The drawbacks would be slighty more current draw than needed, rapid fuel circulation meaning it will be easyer to suck air when low on fuel and fuel will be heated more circulated through the rail more often. The stock pump is 110 lph so a 155 lph a first step upgrade for a more or less mild SC.

Vernon

its all relative

you will need a adjustable regulator to tune it properly, other wise it wont run right. Plus you will just be boosting fuel rail pressure, stock injectors can only push 30lbs an hr. And if you get bigger injectors in my opinion (you know what they say about opinions dont you) you need a bigger maf(maf needs to be calibrated to the injector)/throttle body, other wise the ratios will be off. its all relative. You see if your not already sitting with a beast of a car the stock is fine. Start with more air, than more fuel, than Fire(spark) otherwise your really not doing much. I know you want to put it on but id wait untill other adjustments are made first. But thats just my 2cents. Good luck!. Ps if you install it and your car is stock you will have to run stock rail pressure

Thanks Guys!!!!!

I need all the advise I can get. It is not imperitive for me to replace the fuel pump immediately, so I will just wait on my injectors and MAF. I am planning to stockpile up to $7,000.00 in parts anyway. This will take all summer, so I will likely be bugging you guys often!:D
DB91

You don't need to touch your fuel pressure regulator with a fuel pump that flows more fuel. Just as Vernon said.

The fuel pumps are not rated for pressure, their rated for flow. Our stuck fuel pressure regulator will ensure that the excess flow does not create any excess pressure. It does that by allowing the flow to bypass into the fuel return line once the appropriate pressure is achieved in the fuel rail. All you do is move more fuel through the feed and return line.

The need for these higher flow fuel pumps is as you add components that allow increased air flow, increased fuel is necessary. Increased fuel is achived by the ECM increasing the fuel injector pulse width. (the amount of time each injector is open to inject fuel) With a stock fuel pump, it's easy to bolt on enhancements that can overwhelm the capability to build sufficient pressure due to such increased pulse widths. The fuel pump you purchased, is really only necessary when you start putting larger fuel injectors in the car. The stock fuel injectors, even at 100% duty cycle can't out-flow that new fuel pump.

You can bet with the work you intend to do, you'll eventually need to upgrade your injectors.

Thanks Vernon!

Mike8675309 said:
You don't need to touch your fuel pressure regulator with a fuel pump that flows more fuel. Just as Vernon said.

The fuel pumps are not rated for pressure, their rated for flow. Our stuck fuel pressure regulator will ensure that the excess flow does not create any excess pressure. It does that by allowing the flow to bypass into the fuel return line once the appropriate pressure is achieved in the fuel rail. All you do is move more fuel through the feed and return line.

The need for these higher flow fuel pumps is as you add components that allow increased air flow, increased fuel is necessary. Increased fuel is achived by the ECM increasing the fuel injector pulse width. (the amount of time each injector is open to inject fuel) With a stock fuel pump, it's easy to bolt on enhancements that can overwhelm the capability to build sufficient pressure due to such increased pulse widths. The fuel pump you purchased, is really only necessary when you start putting larger fuel injectors in the car. The stock fuel injectors, even at 100% duty cycle can't out-flow that new fuel pump.

You can bet with the work you intend to do, you'll eventually need to upgrade your injectors.
Thanks Mike!
I actually went ahead with what Vernon advised me to do and Ford Dealership installed the new pump today! It works FLAWLESSLY and the problem is fixed!
BTW: THANKS VERNON!!!!!:D :D :D
db91

Frank,

Do yourself a big favor...set your HP goal and stick to it. It's much cheaper to do it once than to keep changing your mind like I did.

For example, If you want a mid 13 second car, then just buy the stuff you need the first time. I think the 255 lph pump is a perfect start. Don't worry about having too much fuel....not many people damage their car from being too rich.

Let me know if you need any help making the rest of your shopping list.

David

David Neibert said:
Frank,

Do yourself a big favor...set your HP goal and stick to it. It's much cheaper to do it once than to keep changing your mind like I did.

For example, If you want a mid 13 second car, then just buy the stuff you need the first time. I think the 255 lph pump is a perfect start. Don't worry about having too much fuel....not many people damage their car from being too rich.

Let me know if you need any help making the rest of your shopping list.

David

David,
I really appreciate this because I will need all the help I can get with this! I will be working with about an $8000.00 budget for the summer. I thank you for paying attention to the fact that I need to stay with a plan. You are so right about why I chose the 255lph pump because my plans are to buy the best parts that I can get the first time around!:cool:
My twin brother, alias "World B. Free" also posts on this board from time to time and he is giving me an engine out of his '89 Supercoupe to build so I will have less down time with my car. I will be taking this engine to the machine shop after we tear down the long-block. I was curious as to what I need to ask them to do to:
1.) The block: as far as boring and o-ringing.:confused:
2.) I will be inquiring about work to the crankshaft. (Can we stroke this thing in any way?)
3.) I have a pretty good blueprint for the heads, but where should I go to for the best cam selection??
I will appreciate any advise David!:cool:
My Goal is a 12 second car, and I will settle for a 12.9
DB91:rolleyes:

When getting the engine built you need to also ask the questions of how you intend to get into the 12 second bracket. Are you planning on trying to remain stock as possible, restricting yourself to only super charger power? Or is NO2 in your future?

Also think about if this is going to be a daily driver, or a weekend battle machine.

The engine build up might be different for each different task you intend for the engine. Hopefully you will find a machine shop that will help guide you.

1.) The block: as far as boring and o-ringing.
2.) I will be inquiring about work to the crankshaft. (Can we stroke this thing in any way?)
3.) I have a pretty good blueprint for the heads, but where should I go to for the best cam selection??
I will appreciate any advise David!
My Goal is a 12 second car, and I will settle for a 12.9
DB91

Frank,

I think your going to need a bigger budget to get a high 12 second SC if you plan to do it without using nitrous.

No boring or oringing required...whatever it takes to clean up the cylinders and a smooth deck to allow use of late model multi-layered headgaskets is all you need.

I would not try stroking the crank, because the only way is offset grinding..meaning the rods will be custom and so will the pistons. You don't need it to go 12s. My engine has 351 rods (longer than stock) and custom Ross pistons (shorter than stock).

Get your heads, cam and rockers from Stegimeier...you can't do any better.

David

David Neibert said:
Frank,

I think your going to need a bigger budget to get a high 12 second SC if you plan to do it without using nitrous.

No boring or oringing required...whatever it takes to clean up the cylinders and a smooth deck to allow use of late model multi-layered headgaskets is all you need.

I would not try stroking the crank, because the only way is offset grinding..meaning the rods will be custom and so will the pistons. You don't need it to go 12s. My engine has 351 rods (longer than stock) and custom Ross pistons (shorter than stock).

Get your heads, cam and rockers from Stegimeier...you can't do any better.

David
Thanks again David. I am printing all this out and I will be paying very close attention to everything that you have wrote.
DB91:cool:

Back